Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires in a nutshell?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my Toyo MT's. 37's DD. You did not mention but I have heard the ProComp MTs are pretty decent and 4WP is running a sale for like $100 off. 40k warranty. I don't have any experience with them nor do I have any intentions of buying them anytime soon. I thought I would pass it along.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da20captain
Love my Toyo MT's. 37's DD. You did not mention but I have heard the ProComp MTs are pretty decent and 4WP is running a sale for like $100 off. 40k warranty. I don't have any experience with them nor do I have any intentions of buying them anytime soon. I thought I would pass it along.
good to hear, I've been mostly between the Duratracs or the KM2's but I will take a look at the procomps as well, thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by heycody
yeah I was checking that thread out but mainly saw a lot of arguing xD, so are you saying to wait to check out the KM3's vs the KM2's?
If that information is correct, (and it wasn't just a manufacturing problem/shortage leading to the $700/tire prices I was seeing) then I would not suggest buying km2's. There are plenty of other options that won't have the worry of whether you'll be able to replace a bad tire in the future.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

I've gone through 2 sets of Toyo open country m/t's. They are tough as nails and over the course of 80k combined miles on both the sets I've only had one tire get punctured and it was on the first set near the end of the tires life. Whatever it was that punctured the tire was caught up in the belts / outer plies and the guys spent a solid half hour digging it out from the inside before they patched it. My ONLY complaints about the tire is that they are HEAVY and since they are a heavy load range tire they have stiff sidewalls and didn't provide the best ride. This is just about true for any true M/T though.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the kind of wheeling you do, I'd recommend the duratracs. Personally I think they are one of the most balanced tires out there and your best bang for buck if you are only looking at one set for all seasons. My first set were 33's and used them all year round before getting a set of 33' MTZ's which are awesome... but hocky pucks in winter.

I liked them enough that when I went to 35's, I bought the duratracs again and then a year later bought a set of 35" mtz's for summer. The duratracs have great road manners, quiet, still look semi aggressive of a tire and do well in varied conditions. They do good in rocks, winter trails, and pavement. They suffer a bit in bad mud since they don't clean very well. We see lots of mud around here and some years between spring to fall I wheel about 6-12 days per month. Usually on 3 day trips. They do okay in muddy holes and such but once you get into the sticky stuff or into muskeg they basically just turn into slicks.

The one thing to mention is that their sidewalls are not quite as strong. If you stick to groomed trails in the sense that they see a lot of traffic so the hazards are a lot less since everyones run over all the sharp rocks and trees so they are ground down a bit I've never had an issue. I typically enjoy more of the adventure kind of wheeling though, we are always in search of trails that have been long gone or forgotten and might mean you are going as fast as someone in front can walk and chainsaw.

In those cases where there are a lot of trail hazards they do not do well, I went through 5 sidewalls from January to Juneish last year before getting another set of MTZ's.... in 37"s lol. Love those tires.

So I guess in short, if it is your DD and you only wheel once or twice a month, you have varied weather, etc... duratracs would get my vote for a bang for buck tire.

Edit: Plus they are pretty light for a tire so regearing isin't as big of an issue
Old 01-15-2016, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Depending on the kind of wheeling you do, I'd recommend the duratracs. Personally I think they are one of the most balanced tires out there and your best bang for buck if you are only looking at one set for all seasons. My first set were 33's and used them all year round before getting a set of 33' MTZ's which are awesome... but hocky pucks in winter.

I liked them enough that when I went to 35's, I bought the duratracs again and then a year later bought a set of 35" mtz's for summer. The duratracs have great road manners, quiet, still look semi aggressive of a tire and do well in varied conditions. They do good in rocks, winter trails, and pavement. They suffer a bit in bad mud since they don't clean very well. We see lots of mud around here and some years between spring to fall I wheel about 6-12 days per month. Usually on 3 day trips. They do okay in muddy holes and such but once you get into the sticky stuff or into muskeg they basically just turn into slicks.

The one thing to mention is that their sidewalls are not quite as strong. If you stick to groomed trails in the sense that they see a lot of traffic so the hazards are a lot less since everyones run over all the sharp rocks and trees so they are ground down a bit I've never had an issue. I typically enjoy more of the adventure kind of wheeling though, we are always in search of trails that have been long gone or forgotten and might mean you are going as fast as someone in front can walk and chainsaw.

In those cases where there are a lot of trail hazards they do not do well, I went through 5 sidewalls from January to Juneish last year before getting another set of MTZ's.... in 37"s lol. Love those tires.

So I guess in short, if it is your DD and you only wheel once or twice a month, you have varied weather, etc... duratracs would get my vote for a bang for buck tire.

Edit: Plus they are pretty light for a tire so regearing isin't as big of an issue
hmm, I guess the thing I keep running into is what exact kind of wheeling I plan to do. I just got to the VA area and got my Jeep this pass week so I have to look up any nearby clubs, groups or places to go. I've also been thinking depending on when I actual purchase the tires and if winter season is over by the time I get them, I may just purchase some MTs and save up to switch to the Duratracs when winter comes back around.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are not sure, the best thing to do is to just go out and see what you enjoy. Some like the mud, some like the rocks, others just enjoy cruising some scenic trails. Go out a few times to see what you like the best and build your Jeep from there. Saves you a lot of money in the long run lol.

Depending on how your winters are, it pays to research your tire options. Lots of guys in our clubs here have MT's and they are basically hockey pucks in the winter, with no siping and stiff lugs its just a slip and slide fest. And if your Jeep is your DD then it can sucks quite a bit on the highway or city roads.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Our winters are a joke here, but siping is still important. I had a set of MTZ's and liked them.

Posting there will get you relatively close with VA folks but it didn't get me a test drive on anyone's aftermarket clutch when it was time to replace mine.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/east...55811/page223/

Hrjc, kma off road, and mpja are a few of the clubs in the area. I'm not a member of any of the clubs because most of the group is irresponsible in all of the groups.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I'm not a member of any of the clubs because most of the group is irresponsible in all of the groups.
hahaha good to know. I was here last year when we had that two-three day bad snow day in Jan or Feb but other than that I didnt see much snow, just crappy cold miserable windy rain
Old 01-15-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running cooper pro my friend who runs them to agrees we like them better then duratrac on dry and wet roads. And there decent in the winter. Better then factory rubicon tires. They are amazing in deep snow

Quick Reply: Tires in a nutshell?