Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires for living in Utah

Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for living in Utah

I am moving to Salt lake city at the first of the year. I am also in the market for new tires 35 or 37's undecided yet. will be running on my stock moabs for a bit while i save for wheels, Moving from Tennessee to Utah is more expensive than i thought.
My Jk is a daily driver for the biggest part , but will be doing a lot of wheeling as well.
I don't know anything about the type of land out their other than the videos i have watched but it seems some A/T's mite be the way to go with all the rock sand and mud plus DD. or are the M/T's just as good minus the life expectancy of road use?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a good MT tire, ... Cepek Mud Country, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ, Pro Comp Extreme MT, Goodyear MT/R, Goodrich KM2, etc.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Actually, if you are moving to utah... then I would get two sets of tires... ATs for winter and MTs for summer. MTs are not the best tires for ice and packed snow. There are some ATs that will accept studs as well. Long term cost is the same since it will take twice as long to go through them.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running MTR Kevlars on mine, make sure you stop by and pay us a visit!!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wheeling in Utah

I currently live in the California desert, but I lived and jeeped in Utah until I was 27 (both northern and southern) and I'll tell you this: asking what kind of tire is best for Utah is like asking what kind of tire will best suit Asia.

Utah is a geological/environmental/meteorlogical freak show. Rain? Check. White-out blizzards? Check. Ice Storms? Check. Hail? Check. 110+ degree heat? Check. -20 degree cold? Check. High deserts? Check. Rocky Mountains? Check. Forests? Check. Swamps? Check. Red rock country? Double check. Tundra? Check. Sand dunes? Check. Salt flats that go on forever? Check. Jungles? Ok--you got me on jungles.

If you are living around Salt Lake, I'd say an MT will do you fine. You may give up a little in the snow, but you won't get stuck unless the axles get buried (and then nothing will help you anyway). More likely it's the slush/mud that you should be prepping for.

One last thing. People from back east don't always appreciate how big the west is. Utah is no exception. So, before you go out and buy 42" tires, look into your wallet and ponder how light it will become if you suddenly feel the urge to drive 300 miles to Moab. You want to go to Moab, right? (Shake your head vigorously up and down.)

Last edited by RustyShovel; 11-11-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meaty
I am moving to Salt lake city at the first of the year. I am also in the market for new tires 35 or 37's undecided yet. will be running on my stock moabs for a bit while i save for wheels, Moving from Tennessee to Utah is more expensive than i thought.
My Jk is a daily driver for the biggest part , but will be doing a lot of wheeling as well.
I don't know anything about the type of land out their other than the videos i have watched but it seems some A/T's mite be the way to go with all the rock sand and mud plus DD. or are the M/T's just as good minus the life expectancy of road use?
GoodYear MTR's are workin great for me here in Southern Utah. Tennesse to Utah, that will be a nice shock to your system. Once you get that all worked out get yourself an ATV and jump on the Piaute Trail.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Depending on where you live might influence the type of tire you want. I live in Salt Lake and I run Toyo M/T's all year around and I love em. Welcome to Utah!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RustyShovel
I currently live in the California desert, but I lived and jeeped in Utah until I was 27 (both northern and southern) and I'll tell you this: asking what kind of tire is best for Utah is like asking what kind of tire will best suit Asia.

Utah is a geological/environmental/meteorlogical freak show. Rain? Check. White-out blizzards? Check. Ice Storms? Check. Hail? Check. 110+ degree heat? Check. -20 degree cold? Check. High deserts? Check. Rocky Mountains? Check. Forests? Check. Swamps? Check. Red rock country? Double check. Tundra? Check. Sand dunes? Check. Salt flats that go on forever? Check. Jungles? Ok--you got me on jungles.

If you are living around Salt Lake, I'd say an MT will do you fine. You may give up a little in the snow, but you won't get stuck unless the axles get buried (and then nothing will help you anyway). More likely it's the slush/mud that you should be prepping for.

One last thing. People from back east don't always appreciate how big the west is. Utah is no exception. So, before you go out and buy 42" tires, look into your wallet and ponder how light it will become if you suddenly feel the urge to drive 300 miles to Moab. You want to go to Moab, right? (Shake your head vigorously up and down.)
ya for all these factors is why I was considering A/T's but is seem's M/T's are the way most people would go.And OH YES I cant wait to get to Moab and do some wheeling out west.
[/QUOTE]Tennesse to Utah, that will be a nice shock to your system.[/QUOTE]
Your telling me first time we visited the big thing i noticed, NO TREES, the best thing i knoticed NO HUMIDITY Nothing like getting out of the shower and breaking out in a sweat.
Thanks for all the info guys, it will be a big help

Quick Reply: Tires for living in Utah