Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires and a lift + lots of help

Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and a lift + lots of help

So i finally feel like i have enough to get some tires and a lift. Im in love with the General grabber red letter tires but there have been a few complaints on the letters fading, they wear quick and there heavy. the other tire i am looking at is the BFGoodrich TA KM-2 dont know to much about them but what i do hear is good things so could someone help me out with that? I wanna get these in a 285-75-R16 if anyone knows a sight where i can get either of these real cheap please let me know as well
Also im lookin to get a lift put on something reasonably priced ive been looking at 3in to 3.5inches only cause i feel like once i have money for bumpers and stuff it will all weigh it down to 3inches. Is 3 inches to much for 33's? and if i get a 3in lift do i need to replace my stock shocks as well? Thank you and i look foward to all the support and help.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scorpiorl86
So i finally feel like i have enough to get some tires and a lift. Im in love with the General grabber red letter tires but there have been a few complaints on the letters fading, they wear quick and there heavy. the other tire i am looking at is the BFGoodrich TA KM-2 dont know to much about them but what i do hear is good things so could someone help me out with that? I wanna get these in a 285-75-R16 if anyone knows a sight where i can get either of these real cheap please let me know as well
Also im lookin to get a lift put on something reasonably priced ive been looking at 3in to 3.5inches only cause i feel like once i have money for bumpers and stuff it will all weigh it down to 3inches. Is 3 inches to much for 33's? and if i get a 3in lift do i need to replace my stock shocks as well? Thank you and i look foward to all the support and help.

Welcome! On the tires it is really personal preference. With 3 inches of lift you can run 35's, so think about that. I dont think you need any lift to fit the tires you list here. With a 3inch lift you will want to replace factory shocks. Discount Tire is a supporter of this forum, and has great prices...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scorpiorl86
Discount Tire all the way. I do not like white or red lettered tires. #1 i don't like the look. #2 to keep them clean you have to blech white them or scrub the living piss out of them and eventually the letters start to look like crap.

I got GY Duratracs and I love them.

What year is your JK? 2 or 4 door? If you are not a "hardcore" offroader I would stick with about a 2-2.5" lift. It will give you a nice aggressive stance with new tires, plus some great road manners and off-road capability. Anything 3" and over you start getting into Pandora's box of upgrades like drive shafts, front track bar, rear track bar, new lower and possibly upper control arms, etc, etc, etc.

I would recommend getting a coil lift kit with shocks. They will greatly improve your ride on road and off. Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Rancho all make good kits. I opted for Bilstein 5100s on my rig. Norhtridge 4x4 had a great package deal going. Call David over there and he will hook you up with a good deal on a lift kit. Tell them what you like to do with your Jeep and what your future plans are for it and they will help you.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rays0852
Discount Tire all the way. I do not like white or red lettered tires. #1 i don't like the look. #2 to keep them clean you have to blech white them or scrub the living piss out of them and eventually the letters start to look like crap.

I got GY Duratracs and I love them.

What year is your JK? 2 or 4 door? If you are not a "hardcore" offroader I would stick with about a 2-2.5" lift. It will give you a nice aggressive stance with new tires, plus some great road manners and off-road capability. Anything 3" and over you start getting into Pandora's box of upgrades like drive shafts, front track bar, rear track bar, new lower and possibly upper control arms, etc, etc, etc.

I would recommend getting a coil lift kit with shocks. They will greatly improve your ride on road and off. Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Rancho all make good kits. I opted for Bilstein 5100s on my rig. Norhtridge 4x4 had a great package deal going. Call David over there and he will hook you up with a good deal on a lift kit. Tell them what you like to do with your Jeep and what your future plans are for it and they will help you.
I currently have 31" Duratracs. And have opted for the BFG's the guy at discount tire was telling me that there one side is white lettering the other is all black so. I Have a 2010 2dr Jk the reason i was looking at the 3" lift was for bumper weight cause down the line i do plan adding bumpers im more of a weekend warrior right now whenever i can get out and find a easy to mild trail cause i am still new to this. So if i go with the 2.5" lift is shock replacement reccomended?

Quick Reply: Tires and a lift + lots of help