Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which tires to get.. BFG's??

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tires to get.. BFG's??

I'm currently running 35 ProComp Mud Terrains and have had them on for a couple years.. I'm getting new tires before the end of the summer and just wanted some feedback and input on the BFG KM2's and the BFG Krawlers.. They both look great to me, but I am aware that looks aren't everything. I wheel mostly mud since there aren't too many rocks down here in lower alabama. I'm more on the highway than I am offroad since I am driving to classes every day. Also, since the BFG's aren't true to size and I want to run a 35 tire, would it be a bad idea to order 37's?? Since they would be closer to 35's on the bigger side as opposed to ordering 35's and them being smaller than what I actually want. My reasoning could be completely wrong, so feel free to correct me and give me any information you have!! Thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

You are correct that BFGs run small. I originally was planning on putting KM2s on my JK but ended up going with a different tire. I know BFG are a great tire but I couldn't justify 400+ a tire for 37s. Plus I also am mostly on the road so needed something that worked well on road as well as off.
I ended up with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires. They are by no means a mud tire but the reviews have found that they perform extremely well offroad. They are smooth and quiet on road and came in at just over 300 a tire for a 37. They also appear to be truer to size.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
You are correct that BFGs run small. I originally was planning on putting KM2s on my JK but ended up going with a different tire. I know BFG are a great tire but I couldn't justify 400+ a tire for 37s. Plus I also am mostly on the road so needed something that worked well on road as well as off.
I ended up with Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires. They are by no means a mud tire but the reviews have found that they perform extremely well offroad. They are smooth and quiet on road and came in at just over 300 a tire for a 37. They also appear to be truer to size.
Thanks for your input. I'll have to check out those falkens
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM
jdk
JK Freak

I am running KM2's and pretty happy with them, they preform well on the rocks and pretty good in the mud also. The only draw back I have seen with them, is the treads will start cupping if you do not stay on top of roating them OFTEN!!! Just MHO you sure you want 37's cause I have 411 gears and if I went with 37's I would have to re-gear and go with hydroboost power steering.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdk
I am running KM2's and pretty happy with them, they preform well on the rocks and pretty good in the mud also. The only draw back I have seen with them, is the treads will start cupping if you do not stay on top of roating them OFTEN!!! Just MHO you sure you want 37's cause I have 411 gears and if I went with 37's I would have to re-gear and go with hydroboost power steering.
Do you know the exact size of your km2's when you first got them? Honestly, no I am not sure.. that's why I'm trying to get some different opinions and figure out what to do. I just figured since 37's aren't really "37" then it wouldn't be such a big deal but I guess i am wrong haha
Old 07-01-2011, 03:55 PM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by centerfieldr162
Do you know the exact size of your km2's when you first got them? Honestly, no I am not sure.. that's why I'm trying to get some different opinions and figure out what to do. I just figured since 37's aren't really "37" then it wouldn't be such a big deal but I guess i am wrong haha
Just measured my spare it has about half the tread gone and measures 33.5,I went from Procomp 33's to 35 KM2's noticed alot of difference in acceleration. Thats why if I went to 37's I would need to re-gear, also when out wheeling I have overheated my power steering pump on the rocks.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdk
Just measured my spare it has about half the tread gone and measures 33.5,I went from Procomp 33's to 35 KM2's noticed alot of difference in acceleration. Thats why if I went to 37's I would need to re-gear, also when out wheeling I have overheated my power steering pump on the rocks.
Damn.. I just wish they were true to size That's why I just wish I could get 37's and not have to re-gear or do anything else to my Jeep
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Do buy the krawlers cuz they will wear really fast. I had km2s on my yj and I liked them alot but the next set of tires I get will be mtr/k
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't buy the krawlers cuz they will wear really fast. I had km2s on my yj and I liked them alot but the next set of tires I get will be mtr/k
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Krawlers are more of a competition/ rock tire and the km2s are the nicer version of it for the road. If you're really into mud the super swamper is where you need to be looking. IMO and experience, they run truer to size than bfg's.

Boggers TSL's etc are where you want to be
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go look into interco's right now!

Quick Reply: Which tires to get.. BFG's??