Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires to fit my driving habits...

Old 01-03-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires to fit my driving habits...

I’ve decided to get a Teraflex 2.5” BB and want 33” tires to go along with it, question is…

I’m up at college so I don’t really do much driving around the city, but driving back home is a 6-7 hour drive, and while I am home I do a lot of highway driving. I live in Florida so don’t have to worry about snow or icey roads but I would like a tire that can handle mud, sand, rain/wet pavement, and dry pavement. I’ll take it off-road a few times a month, and I’m leaning towards Mud tires…Read posts about Toyo Open Country MTs and BFG KM2’s and seen nothing but good reviews (besides price), but no definitive answer as to how they handle on-road. Are these a good fit for me? With mud tires, I’m concerned about highway driving (as much as I love driving my JK, I don’t want my 6 hour rides home to take 8 hours ) and driving on the streets when it rains… What would you guys suggest?

Also, If I get it lifted, will I even be able to safely reach speeds of 80-90 mph? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

No help from me because I'm looking to do the same thing. However, I'm VERY interested what people suggest here.

Jtr - North Carolina
Old 01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a set of Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's and they were awesome off road, but I also do alot of hwy driving and was concerned about them wearing too quickly...so I swapped them for a set of 33" Hankook Dynapro MT's and haven't looked back. So far I love these tires...quiet on the road, good off road, wearing evenly so far, and not too expensive either. They're aggressive enough for occasional weekend riding, but very livable on the street. Mine are 285/75R16 ( 33" +/- ) and the set of 4 cost about $750 installed at a local shop.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had never seen a tire as good as the toyos mts, I have them in my truck that I don't take off road too much, but when I do they perform really well. currently I have bf Goodrich km, km2s, and good year ats in different vehicles, and I can tell you I would rather have the toyo's open country in all of them, I'm not saying any of this tires are bad, but for an all around tire to take off road I'd rather have the toyo's. just my opinion
Old 01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are concerned about the long drive, a good A/T tire will get you more bang for your buck. But for an M/T I have to agree with the Hankook Dynapro M/T03. They probably one of the best buys out there. They quite a bit cheaper than the tires you mentioned, and wear well plus handle all off road situations well. I have a set of five 315/75R16 and I got them for under $1,000 installed including tax. Check out my gallery for pics.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robin
I had never seen a tire as good as the toyos mts, I have them in my truck that I don't take off road too much, but when I do they perform really well. currently I have bf Goodrich km, km2s, and good year ats in different vehicles, and I can tell you I would rather have the toyo's open country in all of them, I'm not saying any of this tires are bad, but for an all around tire to take off road I'd rather have the toyo's. just my opinion
Oh I would love to try a set of those out, but for the money I just can't see myself ever going there...I mean, $750 for the Hankook's or $1200 for the Toyo's...maybe one day when I win the lottery.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm loving my BFG KM2's... they sling mud really well and the ride is great on the highway, even at good speed. I'd post how fast I usually drive, but folks on here tend to bash lead foot drivers. I'll simply say, they can handle getting you home in 6 hours. Or 5 and a half or so. haha
Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my BFG MT's . These are not the new tread pattern but they wear well and really perform in the mud. My wife doesn't think they are too noisy so they must not be that bad. You do need to find the right psi for your tire and vehicle setup. Mine is 31psi street and 14psi trail.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have mtz's and they ride great. They also are suprisingly quiet.....and I am selling them if you decide to go this route.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKBenB
I'm loving my BFG KM2's... they sling mud really well and the ride is great on the highway, even at good speed. I'd post how fast I usually drive, but folks on here tend to bash lead foot drivers. I'll simply say, they can handle getting you home in 6 hours. Or 5 and a half or so. haha
Ditto, the km2s are incredible off and on road (35x12.5x17)

Quick Reply: Tires to fit my driving habits...