Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires....

Old 09-19-2014, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires....

Im stuck, After getting my jeep and researching for almost 3 weeks on what tires to get I have decided against the Duratracs because the load rating. Some say its fine other say its not. Also it seems as they measure alot smaller than 35s and acuttaly like a 33 not even a 34 in which I expect. Anyone running any other tires similar to duratracs. I liked the duratracs because of the weight so I can get ok mpg. (when your 17 every mpg counts lol)

Any recommendations for a 35 that is not extremely pricey, and gets ok mpg.

Km2's on the list. Anyone have anything negative about those?
Old 09-19-2014, 04:55 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, right there with you.. I've had to give the Duratracs a second and even a third look and although several offers to buy other tires from a verify of tire shops have come and gone.. I'm leaning back towards the duratracs. Sad thing here is I'm not very receptive of anything goodyear.
But as you've said the load rating is a main draw for us.. carrying all our camping gear, staying more on the road and less off road.. but always prepared. This just seem to be the right tire for us.. I mean we want the simi aggressive look, yet something higher than 50k on the milage warranty.. Also.. the load rating is right in the middle or between soft or average tires and commercial or truck grade tires.. IE load rating of D
As a comparison.. The lower the rating the more flex would be in the tire.. C being a common or typical tire due to it plys.. So when one airs down.. the tire would give or bulge over sand and rocks.. where as the E load rating would not give so easily.. the D being in the middle of the road sort of speak.. would give us the road travel needs and could air down for sand travel.. Just seem to be a win win for us.
As for a size.. this is going to be a tough one.. we want something slightly wider than stock.. or the 255/75/17.. So going 285's might suit us more.. Just in the deciding stages..
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Hey, right there with you.. I've had to give the Duratracs a second and even a third look and although several offers to buy other tires from a verify of tire shops have come and gone.. I'm leaning back towards the duratracs. Sad thing here is I'm not very receptive of anything goodyear.
But as you've said the load rating is a main draw for us.. carrying all our camping gear, staying more on the road and less off road.. but always prepared. This just seem to be the right tire for us.. I mean we want the simi aggressive look, yet something higher than 50k on the milage warranty.. Also.. the load rating is right in the middle or between soft or average tires and commercial or truck grade tires.. IE load rating of D
As a comparison.. The lower the rating the more flex would be in the tire.. C being a common or typical tire due to it plys.. So when one airs down.. the tire would give or bulge over sand and rocks.. where as the E load rating would not give so easily.. the D being in the middle of the road sort of speak.. would give us the road travel needs and could air down for sand travel.. Just seem to be a win win for us.
As for a size.. this is going to be a tough one.. we want something slightly wider than stock.. or the 255/75/17.. So going 285's might suit us more.. Just in the deciding stages..
This is the worst stage. I think im ordering km2s. Cheaper and 15 inch rims are 45 dollars on rk website.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:04 AM
-

That's Odd I was under the impression that you actually liked the Duratracs.. If I've misread your post and offered incorrect information, I'm terribly sorry.. Therefore one can disregard my comments.. and lean in what ever direction that suits you.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JkMichigan
This is the worst stage. I think im ordering km2s. Cheaper and 15 inch rims are 45 dollars on rk website.
Assume you did the research on 15" wheels? Not a lot will work with the JKs. Can't recall the reason, but a friend is swapping his 15s for 17s as the 15s are causing issues with wheels studs.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

have you checked out the new Nitto Exo Grapplers or the terra grappler g2? not sure their load rating, but i know they just came out.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JkMichigan
Btw, there's a bunch of us JK guys in SE MI. PM me if you want details to our group. We have a little over 130 members and growing. Good people.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Assume you did the research on 15" wheels? Not a lot will work with the JKs. Can't recall the reason, but a friend is swapping his 15s for 17s as the 15s are causing issues with wheels studs.
Have a friend running these 15s and you have to use a small .25 inch spacer so you dont rip the caliper off. but they work
Old 09-19-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by etl330
have you checked out the new Nitto Exo Grapplers or the terra grappler g2? not sure their load rating, but i know they just came out.
exo look great. But can I wait 2 weeks? lol
Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
That's Odd I was under the impression that you actually liked the Duratracs.. If I've misread your post and offered incorrect information, I'm terribly sorry.. Therefore one can disregard my comments.. and lean in what ever direction that suits you.
Huh? I do like them I dont like the load rating.

Quick Reply: Tires....