Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Tires?

Old 01-11-2008, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tires?

Ok...just about to pull the trigger on my lift/wheel/tire combo and need to make my final decision on tires. I could use help (preferably from people that have one of the tires listed). The JK is my daily driver and I put about 80 miles a day on it so I'm concerned with the appearance, drivability, noise, rain/snow and tread life. The least of my concerns is off road performance.

The tires in the race so far are:

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Dick Cepek FC 2

Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2008, 04:43 AM
JK Freak

I have 315/70/17 MTZ's and daily drive about 65 miles. I didn't notice any noise increase over the stock BFG MT's. No rain experience yet, but tons of snow and ice driving. I'm pleased with how they handle. Yesterday I had to drive through about 4" of slush on the way home. No problems.

As a side note, mine measure out at 34" This is inflated to 28psi mounted on 8.5" wide Pintler rims. They advertise something like 34.6" or something. I had to measure to correct the speedo. (Procomp Accupro)
Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Just curious why you would go to the expense of lifting your JK if the least of your concerns is off road performance? Or is this just a second set for road duty?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the MTZ's (33") 285/75 R16 . THey run smoothe a little road noise not much that you will get annoyed. Just make sure you keep up with the tire rotation. Haven't driven in the snow yet, def great in the rain.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SteelMastiff
Just curious why you would go to the expense of lifting your JK if the least of your concerns is off road performance? Or is this just a second set for road duty?
That's a fair question. I'll do some off roading...just not as much as road driving, so it's not as important in my decision.

Additionally, I really like the way it looks (if I'm being honest).
Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have Dick Cepek FC IIs, 305x70R16 (33") on aluminum rims. I drive 70 miles
a day in my 08 JK.

They are very smooth and quiet even at 80 mph. I really like them. Hardly any wear at all.

Just make sure you get aluminum rims. You will never be able to balance
the tires on steel rims.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bumping for info on the ATZs (33s in particular).
Ok in ice, and rocks?

Quick Reply: Which Tires?