Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires for 16 x 8 rims

Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 16 x 8 rims

I have just received 16 x 8 rims. I need advice on AT tire sizes. I want a more aggressive stance for my jeep. I have no lift kit, but will not be doing any extreme offroad, just trail riding. So, what size tire should I go with for a beefier look in an AT tire? (I know I asked similar questions before, but I just got the confirmaton on these rims. My vehicle is a project vehicle for one of my magazines, so I need a good comprimise for AT tires.) My JK is a daily commuter with occassional off road usage. I get so confused over the size thing, that I might have to pay more just to see the damn things in person. I worry if I buy online, I will get the wrong type or something. I currently have the bone stock steelies on my X, so that is what I compare sizes with for visualization. They are 225/75R 16 stock tires. I need a tire a little taller and wider for that "look" i want, I have seen a pair of 285/75 16 AT someone on here suggested earlier. But I worry about them being a little to large without a lift kit. Maybe something a step down in size? Thanks.....
Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JK Junkie, I have already been through a couple sets of tires on my JK in the past year and here is the "real world" determination based on actual tires mounted to the Jeep and thousands of miles:

265/75/R16 Firestone Destination A/T tires on stock 16x7 rims: No rubbing at all, connected or disconnected. Good on road, lousy off road.

285/75/R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo tires on 16x8 Cragar steel rims with 5" backspacing. No rubbing on the street, but rubs the inner fenders disconnected. Good on road, fair on road.

285/75/R16 Big O Bigfoot X/T tires on above Cragars with Spidertrax spacers and 1.75" Daystar Budget Boost. Slight rubbing at disconnect and full flex. A little noise on road, good off road.

315/75/R16 Hankook DynaPro M/T with 2" Rusty's coil spring lift and 3/4" poly front spacer and FT bumpstop extensions: No rubbing at disconnect and full flex. Great off road, little more noise on road.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
315/75/R16 Hankook DynaPro M/T with 2" Rusty's coil spring lift and 3/4" poly front spacer and FT bumpstop extensions: No rubbing at disconnect and full flex. Great off road, little more noise on road.
Do you need the wheel spacers (I assume 1.5") with the lift (if so, I think thats 3.5" BS)?
Also, how does DynaPro noise rate with the bigfoots?
Do you recommend these tires?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
Do you need the wheel spacers (I assume 1.5") with the lift (if so, I think thats 3.5" BS)?
Also, how does DynaPro noise rate with the bigfoots?
Do you recommend these tires?
With the 12.5" wide tires, I opted for the Spidertrax spacers so that the tires would stick out further and not come close to rubbing at full turn. My rims are 16X8 with 5" backspacing, it would have been close without them.

I like the Hankook Dynapro M/T better than the Bigfoot, although the Big O's had a better warranty. The noise level is similar, the Hankook may be a little noisier. The Hankooks are a little better off road though because of the deeper tread.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
With the 12.5" wide tires, I opted for the Spidertrax spacers so that the tires would stick out further and not come close to rubbing at full turn. My rims are 16X8 with 5" backspacing, it would have been close without them.

I like the Hankook Dynapro M/T better than the Bigfoot, although the Big O's had a better warranty. The noise level is similar, the Hankook may be a little noisier. The Hankooks are a little better off road though because of the deeper tread.
Excellent.
I am planning on going with these wheels (going to try no spacers) and tires once I get my FT ultimate lift installed.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going with a 285/75R 16 AT. Anything I should watch for? Would I need spacers or can I wait a few months? Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Now I just need a second income and I'll be all set.

Quick Reply: Tires for 16 x 8 rims