Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tired of replacing brake lines.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of replacing brake lines.

I have steel braded brake lines in the rear provided by Teraflex. They are made for a 3 to 4 inch lift. They have a lot of freeplay so in order to prevent rubbing on the tires I have them zip tied to my rear shocks. Well for the 2nd time in just over a year I've had one rub against the tire after wheeling, wearing away the braided steel wire and exposing the inner plastic wiring. My OME lift yeilds a little less than 3 inches in the rear so factory brake lines would not suffice. Does anyone have any idea how I could prevent this in the future? Would a relocation bracket be better?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Someone posted pics a while back of using springs they picked up at a hardware store. Attach one end about mid-way on the brakeline, and the other end to someplace that will pull the line away from the tires. So the spring lets the brake lines extend when needed, and keeps them out of the way when not needed. Looked like a fairly good, and simple, idea.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Spring would work, I was thinking of using some kind of bungee chord to pull mine......
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
yup, a simple return spring will do the trick.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Perfect timing. I am going to install the rear Teraflex lines once it is a little warmer.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I have heard of doing something like this. Is it very noticeable? Perhaps it could be situated not to be. Looks like this is my only option other than getting a relocation bracket along with shorter lines.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

I installed the rear lines with the tire rotation this morning. The way the lines coiled, they bowed toward the inside on both sides. They seem the perfect length for the 3 inch teraflex left on my 2 door. Piece of cake to replace!

Quick Reply: Tired of replacing brake lines.