Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Width

Old 07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Width

Well I am about to pull the trigger on buying new tires for my 2 door X-S. Not going to lift it, don't want to fight the warranty battle. It's my DD, so drivability is a big concern. I was planning on 286/70/17s, but now know they are available in 33x12.5x17. The 1" tire width would look better, but was wondering if the performance differences on road would make the 11.5 better. I have a set of spacers on the way, so rubbing is no worry. Not going to offroad it for a few years, I have another jeep for that.

So 12.5 or 11.5, any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Because both sizes are relatively close. One is not going to have a major advantage over the other. In general, wider tires provide better traction on the road, especially when turning. However, the further tires stick out + their width, can sometimes cause your Jeep wanting to drift off to the right or left depending on the angle and cracks of the road. It's very slight though and nothing dangerous, just hold onto the wheel a little tighter.

Get which ever you want. Neither will rub with spacers, and there's no significant advantage or disadvantage to either one really.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

My biggest concern was rubbing, followed by weight. I figured the more aggressive treads will make it grab the road a bit as much as a wider tire would. The narrower size is tempting because of the snow, but again they are so close...

So no real risk of rubbing with the swaybar connected? Most this jeep will see is old dirt roads, slight washouts.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

With 11.5 tire you want at least 5" of backspacing (factory is 6.25"). With 12.5 wide tire you want at least 4.5" of backspacing to keep from rubbing when turning. With 33, give or take, tall tires you'll be fine from rubbing with flex.

12.5 -- great for handling and rock crawling, but can move the wheel on uneven roads.

11.5 -- great in the snow, sand, and is not flighty on uneven roads.

All terrains -- great for dry, wet, icy roads, and nearly every terrain except sand and deep mud.

Mud terrains -- great in snow, mud, and on dry roads except they can be fairly noisy on dry roads and don't handle icy roads well.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 98XJSport
My biggest concern was rubbing, followed by weight. I figured the more aggressive treads will make it grab the road a bit as much as a wider tire would. The narrower size is tempting because of the snow, but again they are so close...

So no real risk of rubbing with the swaybar connected? Most this jeep will see is old dirt roads, slight washouts.

The more aggressive tread is great in grabbing "jagged and awkward" surfaces like rocks. It's also great because it has grooves, which means in snow it can force the snow into the grooves, allowing the surface of the tread to reach and grab onto the solid surface of the road/terrain.

The all terrain tread allows for more rubber on the surface, which is what you want in icy and rainy conditions. All terrains are also designed for offroad abuse, but will definitely be required to air down in order to grab a hold of everything.

What brand tires are you looking at? That will change the answer dramatically and I can tell you what I would do with the brand(s) you're looking at.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

May I interject a question along these lines?

What width are the stock Rubi tires? What is the max tire width you would recommend on the stock Rubi 17" rims?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKinLB
May I interject a question along these lines?

What width are the stock Rubi tires? What is the max tire width you would recommend on the stock Rubi 17" rims?

Thanks!
I believe stock tires are 265/65 or 265/75. They're practically 32x10.5. Max tire width and height I would recommend on stock is 33x11.5 if you don't plan on wheeling trails that require a lot of flex. But you'll be able to turn fine without rubbing on the disconnects or coils. However, you can purchase 1.25" wheelspacers (very cheap, but strong) for your factory wheels, and will then be able to put 12.5 wide tires on them. If you want to go past 33" tires I would then recommend a 2" budget boost (very affordable and reliable).

Max tire on stock rims -- 33x11.5 w/out rockcrawling, but dirt roads and little flex is fine.

Max tire on stock rims with spacer -- 33x12.5 w/out rock crawling, but dirt roads and a little flex is fine with minor rubbing.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
I believe stock tires are 265/65 or 265/75. They're practically 32x10.5. Max tire width and height I would recommend on stock is 33x11.5 if you don't plan on wheeling trails that require a lot of flex. But you'll be able to turn fine without rubbing on the disconnects or coils. However, you can purchase 1.25" wheelspacers (very cheap, but strong) for your factory wheels, and will then be able to put 12.5 wide tires on them. If you want to go past 33" tires I would then recommend a 2" budget boost (very affordable and reliable).

Max tire on stock rims -- 33x11.5 w/out rockcrawling, but dirt roads and little flex is fine.

Max tire on stock rims with spacer -- 33x12.5 w/out rock crawling, but dirt roads and a little flex is fine with minor rubbing.
Thanks! I am planning on adding a BB and some spacers, and then 35's on the stock rims, at least until I can afford to splurge a bit more. Sounds like that will work out, according to your input.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar and I love it! Wonderful on the road and even better off. The 37" tires have better road manners than my 285/70/17 Hankook Dynapro MT. I will argue that they are as good on the road as the stock BFG MT's that come on the Rubi...hard to believe...I know...I am certainly amazed too.

I will recommend this tire to anyone!

Only drawback to mine is they cost me about $365 a piece after shipping, mount and balance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	27701
Old 07-29-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is a sweet tire, to be sure, just out of my price range, atm!

Quick Reply: Tire Width