Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire and/or Wheel upgrade

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and/or Wheel upgrade

Next Modification
So far I have installed my rocker protection and my lift (TF 2.5 BB). Now, I am ready to look at tires (33s) and possibly wheels. I have a Silver Unlimited X with the 17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels and I really like the way these wheels compliment the Silver Jeep. However, their backspacing is a problem in a stock form. Here are a couple of options I have thought of:

I can keep the wheels I have and get spacers for them to run a larger tire. I would need to purchase some wheel spacers then 5 tires. I am considering the BFG KM2s 285/70 17.

I could purchase some aftermarket wheels that should allow me to run a wider 33’ tire (up to 12.5). Then I have a place where I can pick up 4 33x12.50 Cooper STTs for about $700 that have 600 miles on them. However, if I wanted to run a spare I would need to purchase 1 more and buy 5 wheels. I also do not know how they stack up to the KM2s.

My reservations:
I have some reservations about running wheel spacers but everything I read tells me that they are indeed safe. I also have some about how loud the KM2s will be and what kind of tread life I should expect.

On the other side, will I have clearance issues with tires 12.5 wide with my lift? If I decide not to run a matching spare, what potential problems may arise?

I am just looking for some friendly suggestions/advice.
Thanks for reading
Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 285/75r16LT and they dont rub at all. even when i had just the 2"BB lift.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:48 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have run wheel spacers and so long as you install them correctly and check on them from time to time just like anything else, you will not have any problems with them.

Regarding KM2's, just like any mudder, they will be a bit louder but I think you will find that BFG's are some of the quietest mudders you can buy. Also, so long as you rotate them on a regular basis (3000 miles), they will stay quite and wear like iron. Assuming they are made out of the same rubber compound as the KM's, they should last about 60,000 miles.

As far as clearance goes, if you run wheel spacers, you will not have any issues.

Quick Reply: Tire and/or Wheel upgrade