Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire & Wheel help please,,,,

Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire & Wheel help please,,,,

Okay, so I want to change out my wheels and tires. HOWEVER, I am not interested in going bigger or changing the size of the rims/wheels. No lift, just staying on the stock body, the way that it is.
Do I only need to get the information off of the tires, and then go from there? It still seems a bit confusing.
I have an '07 Sahara, with Stock 18 inch tires. What are the "ins and outs", of what information I need to look for, in starting to look for replacement wheels and tires. I just want to order them, have them delivered, and do a simple swap out. But, I just don't know what I am "looking" for, as far as numbers etc, to do just that. . I pretty much want to swap out for looks, sh*ts and giggles.
Any help would be most appreciated!

What size Rims/wheels do I need?
Then how do I match up a tire with that info?

Also, any suggestions on some awesome looking wheels - I like the thought of SOME Black but not all blacked out - And then a good street tire - or are the Duelers on the truck a pretty good tire to stay with? I only have 17K miles on my truck and the tires have quite a bit of life left in them. Plus staying with the Duelers, would mean not having to purchase another 5th tire....

So you see,,, I have, a LOT of questions, and not a lot of knowledge here in tires/wheels,,,,,

ADDITION: the Hubs and I talked it thru and decide that we would be swapping out the tires as well. He just put Mickey Thompsons Baja's on his TJ, and I like the look of them, so we are probably going to go with those for new tires as well. AND,,,,,he thinks that the 15" Wheels would look better with the 33's,,,,is THIS also possible?
Thanks!

Last edited by jerseyjeepgurl; 09-02-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

WHEEL and TIRE FAQ is below. It will show you how to identify your tire size. The wheel size is generally the last two numbers, such as 285/75/16 would be a "16" inch wheel (however, if you have tires that say 31x10.50 i'm not sure where those measurements are for your wheel). Also, you may have a sheet associated with all the papers in your glove box that lists out all of your stock sizes.

After that, the width of the tire will determine how big of a width you need to go on the wheel. The wheel size is just a number, usually 15-17 inches, and it affects the tire dimensions, but not a biggie and you can generally ask tire shops to calculate dimensions for you. Hope this helps!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...274#post211274

Last edited by SouthJacksonWrangler; 08-19-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

There are quite a few good tire/wheel combos over at Discount Tire Direct (they're also a vendor here too), and I think that they even balance them for you before shipping too. Just put in the size that you want (if you're wanting to stick with the same wheel size, or go bigger/smaller) and then just pick the style you want.

Easy! And you might also PM the Discount Tire guys if you have any more questions. They were real cool and answered everything for me when I needed some help. Tell them what you're looking for, and I'm sure they'll have a few ideas in mind.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just did that this srping

I just purchased rims only for my 09 Sahara...figure I'll get new tires when the Duelers need to be replaced.
Went with Moto Metal MO951's 18x9. Gives a bit of a wider looking stance with the stock tires. Be careful and remember your tire pressure sensors will have to be moved to the new rims, which can be done...I had Townfair do it. After I went to the American Racing Equipment site ( Moto Metal is part of ARE) and found rims I went to several local places to see who would give me the best price...Oh and on that site, you can see what the rims look like on different vehicles- a very cool feature!!
The MO951's are black with some silver-look great!!
Main thing you have to check is the break clearance for the new rims...tire shop folks can help with that.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jerseyjeepgurl

Also, any suggestions on some awesome looking wheels - I like the thought of SOME Black but not all blacked out - And then a good street tire - or are the Duelers on the truck a pretty good tire to stay with? I only have 17K miles on my truck and the tires have quite a bit of life left in them. Plus staying with the Duelers, would mean not having to purchase another 5th tire....

So you see,,, I have, a LOT of questions, and not a lot of knowledge here in tires/wheels,,,,,

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SouthJacksonWrangler
WHEEL and TIRE FAQ is below. It will show you how to identify your tire size. The wheel size is generally the last two numbers, such as 285/75/16 would be a "16" inch wheel (however, if you have tires that say 31x10.50 i'm not sure where those measurements are for your wheel). Also, you may have a sheet associated with all the papers in your glove box that lists out all of your stock sizes.

After that, the width of the tire will determine how big of a width you need to go on the wheel. The wheel size is just a number, usually 15-17 inches, and it affects the tire dimensions, but not a biggie and you can generally ask tire shops to calculate dimensions for you. Hope this helps!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...274#post211274
Thanks! This is like the black hole of information,,,,,,,there is so much available and learn. Uggg!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Default Huh???

What's with the death wish kitty?
Is there something wrong with calling it a truck?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

anytime someone calls a jk "truck" , god kills a kitten.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

well...at least you didn't call it a "car." That's probably the only thing that kept him from pulling the trigger!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Default thanks,,,,,,,

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
well...at least you didn't call it a "car." That's probably the only thing that kept him from pulling the trigger!
I have 17K miles on my RIG,,,,??? Are the kittens safe?

Quick Reply: Tire & Wheel help please,,,,