Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire wheel combo

Old 12-29-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire wheel combo

So, I've been going back and fourth for a while now trying to decide what to do here. I have a sahara stock 18's now and its finally gettin time for new shoes. My dilema is, I want MT/R w Kevlar, was planning on wrappings some 35's around some 16" procomp alloys. After doing my homework, I have learned procomps ar not hubcentric. So I know u can get hubcentric rings, but would it just be wiser to spend the extra on some pintlers. Those ar my fav rims, but at $200 a pop, plus the cost of mtr w k is killer. Should I just bite the bullet and spend it? What really throws a kink in the situation, is I got a dealer friend who can put 35" cooper discoverers on my stock 18's for $900. So if I went that route plus $200 for spacers, the price difference from that to say the pintlers and 35 mtr w/ k would be quite substantial, and I could use the money saved to go towards say a superchips and something else like a cb or somethin. Anyways, what do the experts say here. I like to wheel, want to get on some rocks, nothin serious, but I want to. I currently live in louisiana so those kind of wheeling trips will be very limited, mostly just trailriding and unfortunately, mudding, although I prefer not to get in mud, but in Louisiana, its inevitable. Plan on making some trips to more adverse terrain, but like I said, this won't be frequent or anything. I am a LSU student, so funds are not super, but I went the cheap route on my lift and that was a mistake, hate to make the same mistake on tires. Any advise is welcome. I know some love the coopers, and some say they are shit on rocks. I want something that can hold up to the rocks when I DO get to wheel on some, as this will be far away from home, so I will need the meats to be able to get me back to baton rouge when the fun is over. Talk to me fellas. Thanks
Scott
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Bump to the top
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Anybody home?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wall of text is challenging to read, but I think you answer your own question within it.

The Pintlers with MTR/Ks are a great wheel choice, but it is pricey compared to your other choice.

If your budget is limited, the Coopers (if the are the STTs) are a good alternative to the MTR/Ks, specially if you can get a good deal on them.

For some reason there has been a lot of discussion about the Cooper STTs lately including a comparison with MTR/Ks.
Check out those threads if you are not familiar with the Coopers.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Ha my apologies for the challenging literature. I'm on my crackberry on the road so I'm not 100% focused.
Yea I have read the threads on the coopers and yea, they are the SST I can get the deal on. I guess I do answer my own question in there quite a bit, I think what I'm really hoping is that someone will make the decision for me haha. Because I've been figting over this in my head for months. Not to mention there have been so many mixed reviews on the coopers. I know they work excellen in the mud and trails, I was just concerned with the reviews I heard about them sucking on rocks.

I guess what it comes down too is, should I foot the extra cash for the mt/r w/ k and 16" pro comp wheels (I think pintlers are out of my fiscal possibilities) or should I settle for coopers on my stock 18's.
I know its really just a personal thing, I guess I'm just looking for someone who went a similar direction or has a regret in a similar situation.
Agasin, my apologies for the hard to read ramblings.

Quick Reply: tire wheel combo