Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire to wheel bulge measurement request

Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire to wheel bulge measurement request

I'm trying to find out how much a 315/70/17 duratrac tire bulges out past the lip of a wheel that is 8.5" in width. Any 8.5" wide wheel would do I guess although specifically pintlers would be great. Probably any 315/70/17 tire would be ok too.

If someone could place a 2x4 across their tire and measure the distance to the rim it would be much appreciated.

Ok, you are probably wondering why I even care about that measurement. The reason is I am planning on purchasing argent pintlers but not the 10mm offset one. I am considering the 25mm offset instead. I'm trying to keep the tire as close to under the fender as possible to abide by the laws here. I don't want to have to spend $700 on larger pocket fenders either which in my opinion are not that great to look at.

The 25mm offset pushes the tire out .75" which based on my calculations should be enough but it is going to be close. My current setup is with 285/75/17 tire on stock rims with no spacers and I don't rub at full stuff. I'm thinking a wheel that pushes the tire out .75" farther could accomidate a wider tire.

Quick Reply: Tire to wheel bulge measurement request