Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire upgrade for an X

Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire upgrade for an X

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on some new tires (just got my hands on some stock money) and I've got my eyes set on a nice set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. Now this is my first Jeep and I haven't been a big car guy so I'm not up to speed on how one goes about looking for new tires, so I stopped into a local tire shop and mentioned the MT/R's and what size I should go up to. His response was 255/70/16.

My question to you guys, will these tires do me just fine on my stock 07 X? I don't have a lift and don't plan on it for awhile. I do hit the trails frequently so I'm a little concerned if I'll have any rubbing issue's without a lift.

I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find my exact question, so if anyone can spare some time to help a newbie out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dremex
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on some new tires (just got my hands on some stock money) and I've got my eyes set on a nice set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. Now this is my first Jeep and I haven't been a big car guy so I'm not up to speed on how one goes about looking for new tires, so I stopped into a local tire shop and mentioned the MT/R's and what size I should go up to. His response was 255/70/16.

My question to you guys, will these tires do me just fine on my stock 07 X? I don't have a lift and don't plan on it for awhile. I do hit the trails frequently so I'm a little concerned if I'll have any rubbing issue's without a lift.

I did some searching on the forum but couldn't find my exact question, so if anyone can spare some time to help a newbie out I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Do you plan on changing your rims?
Without a lift you can go up to 285/70/16 or 33's. If you plan on keeping the stock rims you'll need to add spacers to push the wheels out a bit so they don't rub.

Stock X tires are 245/70/16 so your really not increasing the size of your tires by that much if you go with the 255/70/16.

What are you trying to achieve?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

My X came with the little bitty 225/75R16's on the stock steel wheels, and I swapped them for a set of 16x8 Aluminum wheels with 265/75R16 tires(about 32x10.50)....looks good with no lift and doesn't rub at all, I've heard you can go up to a 285/75R16 without a lift but then it might feel like you've lost some power. Here's a pic of mine with the 265/75R16.....

Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
Do you plan on changing your rims?
Without a lift you can go up to 285/70/16 or 33's. If you plan on keeping the stock rims you'll need to add spacers to push the wheels out a bit so they don't rub.

Stock X tires are 245/70/16 so your really not increasing the size of your tires by that much if you go with the 255/70/16.

What are you trying to achieve?
hmm, my X currently has 225's so I wanted to get a larger and more aggressive tire but not go crazy. I didn't know the X could take up to a 285, interesting. I'd like to keep my current rims for awhile.

I like the look of JK-KJ's 265's, and I assume those don't have spacers?

Out of curiousoty are there any negatives to using spacers (if the tire size requires it of course)
Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Nope, mine has no spacers. BTW, there was a thread a while back with lots of pics of JK's with the stock wheels with larger tires.....anybody know where it is? It might help a little.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think if you are looking for a mud tire try BFG Mud terrain, same agressive look but they are about $30 cheaper per tire. Gooyear mtr $212, bfg mt $178.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine came with the optional 255/75 R17 Goodyear minivan tires. This is about a 32 inch tire. 33's look like they would fit with no problems. I do have the heavy duty suspension upgrade. This looks to have provided more clearance than stock. I've ran BFG MT's on several Jeeps and will buy them again. Generally good to about 33-35K miles before they start to "sing"
Old 10-18-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
Nope, mine has no spacers. BTW, there was a thread a while back with lots of pics of JK's with the stock wheels with larger tires.....anybody know where it is? It might help a little.
Here's a link to Jeeps with 33's and no lift. Doesn't matter if it's an X, Sahara or Rubicon.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/pics-33s-wihout-lift-17658/
Old 10-18-2007, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tires

i got mine from www.tirerack.com

they seem the cheapest.

also, if it crosses state lines... no sales tax
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks for the help guys!