Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire track for gas cans ??????

Old 02-28-2009, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire track for gas cans ??????

anybody know of a rack for gerry cans that attaches to the stock tire mount ? or stock 32' tire ??? preferably with rack on top and gerry can on each side.
no bumper attachments please.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geebee
anybody know of a rack for gerry cans that attaches to the stock tire mount ? or stock 32' tire ??? preferably with rack on top and gerry can on each side.
no bumper attachments please.
They're probably isn't much out like that, other than home-fab creations. The manual has a weight limit for the stock tire carrier, and it isn't much. that doesn't mean that it can't hold more (people are running around with at least 33" tires on it), just that manufacturers probably are not going to design something that will hold a Jerry can on either side of the tire and a rack above it. It seems like it would be too heavy.

You could make or design something, though. You can buy the Jerry can holders that are meant to be bolted to a trailer/etc. If I were going to do it, I would make a plate with the bolt pattern of the carrier where it mounts to the tailgate. Mount it between the tailgate and the carrier. Then mount the Jerry can holders to the plate. Buy a rack that looks right, and run tubing up above the tire to the rack.

I would make it all out of aluminum to save some weight. It will still be strong enough to hold two full Jerry cans and the rack full of stuff.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Kyle
They're probably isn't much out like that, other than home-fab creations. The manual has a weight limit for the stock tire carrier, and it isn't much. that doesn't mean that it can't hold more (people are running around with at least 33" tires on it), just that manufacturers probably are not going to design something that will hold a Jerry can on either side of the tire and a rack above it. It seems like it would be too heavy.

You could make or design something, though. You can buy the Jerry can holders that are meant to be bolted to a trailer/etc. If I were going to do it, I would make a plate with the bolt pattern of the carrier where it mounts to the tailgate. Mount it between the tailgate and the carrier. Then mount the Jerry can holders to the plate. Buy a rack that looks right, and run tubing up above the tire to the rack.

I would make it all out of aluminum to save some weight. It will still be strong enough to hold two full Jerry cans and the rack full of stuff.
sounds like an idea... now to find someone who can fabricate that
Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geebee
sounds like an idea... now to find someone who can fabricate that
Just draw it up, with the right measurements, and find a welder. It shouldn't be much in material or time.

Quick Reply: Tire track for gas cans ??????