Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire sizing question...help

Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire sizing question...help

I put a 4" suspension lift on my jk this past weekend and Im ready to upgrade from my stock tires.

I want to keep my same stock wheels. The guy who helped me install my lift told me I would need some bolt on spacers. so I bought those, but Im not to sure which tire size is going to be suitable for the stock wheel.

Im thinking either the 315/70R17 or the 35x12.50R17???

Im shopping around right now and looking into the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar or the BFG KM2. Its my everyday driver so im still undecided if I should even go with MT or just do AT.

Im more of just the weekend warrior!!

Please let me know, some input would be appreciated
Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Im thinking either the 315/70R17 or the 35x12.50R17???
Basically the same size. They are just the metric and standard equivalent of the same tire. The metric will probably have a higher load rating, so take that into consideration.

As far as AT vs MT vs one of the hybrid 'aggressive ATs', that's completely up to you.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

You should look at getting new wheels since the stock rims aren't ideal for a tie that wide...I'll take the spacers off your hands for 75 shipped.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by reechee
You should look at getting new wheels since the stock rims aren't ideal for a tie that wide...I'll take the spacers off your hands for 75 shipped.
I gotta disagree.

Lots of us on here running 12.5 wide on stock rims with spacers. I've wheeled lots of times, and had them for a couple years, no problems at all.

If you don't wheel much, go with ATs. They are quieter and will last longer, and still look cooler than street tires.

I assume you have already considered the loss of power with larger tires, but if you haven't, you should check into it. Your differential gearing is set up for smaller tires. A lot of us just live with it, but regearing might be in order if you have the budget.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
I gotta disagree.

Lots of us on here running 12.5 wide on stock rims with spacers. I've wheeled lots of times, and had them for a couple years, no problems at all.

If you don't wheel much, go with ATs. They are quieter and will last longer, and still look cooler than street tires.

I assume you have already considered the loss of power with larger tires, but if you haven't, you should check into it. Your differential gearing is set up for smaller tires. A lot of us just live with it, but regearing might be in order if you have the budget.
umm I have considered the loss of power. I do plan on re-gearing but a little later. I am on a budget and can only really tackle one project at a time. but the gears and lockers are next. I really wanna keep my stock wheels, I actually like them alot more than any aftermarket wheel I see available in a 17". I went to look at the Kumho KL71 MT. Have you heard anything about those tires?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Don't know anything about those tires.

If your lift has straight control arms, you might need to adjust your turn radius or 35s might rub on your control arms.
See how to do that HERE.

Quick Reply: Tire sizing question...help