Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire size

Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire size

Hello, I'm currently running a 4" lift on my 2010 unlimited with 37x13.5 mud grapplers, I have a little rubbing going on so this weekend I'm putting on 1.5 spacers and a new fox ATS stabilizer and also replacing the other bolt in the track bar (which was oblong) to correct some wobble. My question is Im about to buy a spare to match but was thinking about taking my tire size to the max for my wheel which is 38x15.5 so that next tire replace ill be set, anyone have concerns or suggestions on this move?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

What gears, shafts etc are you running? Those 38's are heavy.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Im running all stock right now, just starting to work through the truck as money permits. My 37's seem to run great im just concerned that the 15.5 might rub even with the spacers.

My next purchase will be smitty fender flares.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SidVicious
Im running all stock right now, just starting to work through the truck as money permits. My 37's seem to run great im just concerned that the 15.5 might rub even with the spacers.

My next purchase will be smitty fender flares.
Do you ever wheel it at all?? If you want to move to 38's and you're still on stock axles and gears, Smitty Fender flares should be at the bottom of your list lol

37"+ tires and "as money permits" don't really go together well

anyone have concerns or suggestions on this move?
I gotta say I have some concerns.

Last edited by kh202; 10-25-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I felt coming lol, I don't get off the road much at this point just wanted the look, I'll need to get more education before getting into axles but gears would be something if I knew what to put in. I'm still learning and all the !@#$ I've read just makes my head swell so I'm also thinking about joining a jeep club in this area. Ive spent most of my time on my Harley until the weather changes hence timing.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah I felt coming lol, I don't get off the road much at this point just wanted the look, I'll need to get more education before getting into axles but gears would be something if I knew what to put in. I'm still learning and all the !@#$ I've read just makes my head swell so I'm also thinking about joining a jeep club in this area. Ive spent most of my time on my Harley until the weather changes hence timing.
That's all fine and dandy, wheeling isn't a requirement to get help and advice I highly recommend you hold off on going any bigger for now, and really learn more about your Jeep before even thinking about going bigger. 37" tires put a lot of stress on things that stock components just don't like. Things like wheel bearings, ball joints ect might be on their way out for you (I already replaced a wheel bearing on my 2012 @ 30,000 miles and i only have 35's).

Even just running them on the street, I would highly recommend getting some C gussets for your front axle. You can get a set for $50, and if you make friends with a local jeep club or know someone who is good at welding, doesn't cost you anything more to put them on other than maybe a pack of beer.

Edit: If Dirtman sees this thread he may give you a little bit of flaming for wanting to jump onto 38's without really knowing much about your jeep , but he'll also teach you a lot more than I can. Straightforward guy with a lot of knowledge

Last edited by kh202; 10-25-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

Even if its just a DD I'd say gears would be at the top of the list. I run 37x13.50s w 4.10s but I wish I had 5.13s.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kh202
That's all fine and dandy, wheeling isn't a requirement to get help and advice I highly recommend you hold off on going any bigger for now, and really learn more about your Jeep before even thinking about going bigger. 37" tires put a lot of stress on things that stock components just don't like. Things like wheel bearings, ball joints ect might be on their way out for you (I already replaced a wheel bearing on my 2012 @ 30,000 miles and i only have 35's).

Even just running them on the street, I would highly recommend getting some C gussets for your front axle. You can get a set for $50, and if you make friends with a local jeep club or know someone who is good at welding, doesn't cost you anything more to put them on other than maybe a pack of beer.

Edit: If Dirtman sees this thread he may give you a little bit of flaming for wanting to jump onto 38's without really knowing much about your jeep , but he'll also teach you a lot more than I can. Straightforward guy with a lot of knowledge
Thanks for advice, I probably will just stay with current tire size and begin to pc the drive train together, my track bar bolts are oblong and im fixing them over the weekend when I replace my stabilizer. Are there after market wheel bearings and ball joints that I should look into?

Last edited by kh202; 10-25-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tmann
Even if its just a DD I'd say gears would be at the top of the list. I run 37x13.50s w 4.10s but I wish I had 5.13s.
What does that kind of gearing do for top end speed?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

What does that kind of gearing do for top end speed?
It varies a little depending on if you have auto or 6 speed, but @ 70 mph you'll be at or just under 2500 rpm The wind will still stop your top end before gearing does lol

Quick Reply: tire size