Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire size?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthRiver
I loved the Terra Grapplers when I had them on my Dodge 3500. Excellent rain/snow traction and did pretty dang good in the dirt.

They only lasted about 22K miles,but that was on a truck that tows 11,000lbs and makes about 3x the torque a JK does.

On a JK,I'd expect 50K+ out of them.

i agree, i have a set of 35s that are terra grapplers on there now, things last forever.

do u guys think that going down from 35s to a narrow33 will help put me back in that range of mpg where i want to be?

just have to adapt to stay with the jeep
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

whats a good with to go with on the 33s?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What gearing are you running? 3:21 or 3:73?

Tire Size, Width and weight will play a huge roll in fuel economy!

Some 33's will weigh just as much as some 35's (ie: Toyo M/T's!) How much are you going to lose by going down to 33's??? That money you lose out of pocket can go towards a regear!

With my 33x12.5R17's STT's I am getting about 20-21.5mpg with 3:73 gearing, 6spd and snorkel with AFe drop-in filter. I plan on going to 35's next go round and I am saving my pennies for a Re-gear in about 2 years.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

will this is going to sound kind of redneck but...ill give it a shot anyways.

im actually not losing anything out of pocket for the tires, my dads got a bullydogged f250 and it just happens to have the same size rim as my jk...so hes going to put the 35s on the truck and ill get the new set of 33s...he needs new tires asap so he can pull a horse trailer.

i actually dont know what gearing i have, i thought i had 4.10s. mines an 07 JKU Sahara

how is ur mileage that good, its ridiculous!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
how is ur mileage that good, its ridiculous!
I also, added a superchips and run it in tow mode. I just make sure I don't go over 70mph (110km/hr) anything faster seems to drop the fuel economy like a rock. I find the sweet spot is around 60mph or 95-100km/hr for best fuel economy. I have just slowed down and enjoy the drive in the jeep. In my area there is not much stop and go traffic around town which helps as well.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

i thought about getting one of those...

what kind of options does it give you?
or just anything u wanna say about it, was it worth it?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
i thought about getting one of those...

what kind of options does it give you?
or just anything u wanna say about it, was it worth it?
Superchips was well worth it to me. It has increased my fuel economy, has removed that throttle delay from a dead stop. It has helped adjust my tire size and removed the TPMS light, Crawl mode is amazing when you off-road. I bought it used and it has been a great investment! The only issue I had was the jerky 6speed throttle at lower speeds which Superchips has fixed and a knock/ping which I am still hit and miss and I will be try replacing my knock sensor. I have tried higher Octane, different gas statiions, different tuner settings, adding injector cleaner and every know an then it still pings and knocks. So, I am going to try replacing the knock sensor.

Quick Reply: tire size?