Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire shop can't balance 35" KM2s?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used these innovativebalancing.com[/url] on my cars trucks and motorcycles for years and I love them I got rid of my TPMS so as others have said I don't know what will happen with them.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-25-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky please
Old 08-26-2010, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPop
I agree.

Check the kind of gear they used to balance your tires. You want them done with a Hunter GSP9700 and Road Force balance. Additionally with over size tires they need to lube the crap out of them when mounting the tire as slight variations in the bead seal can show up as a lot of weight when they are balancing the tires, and it's what will have you coming back in a week asking them to balance them again.
+1

I figured I was in for a rough time with my current setup. I had a shop mount used 32" BFG KM's onto a set of steel wheels. I was 99.99% sure I was going to end up with at least some sort of shimmy. I searched out a local shop that had a GSP9700 and gave them a shot. Since they were a small shop, the guy had no problem with me coming in the garage with him to help out where I could (which was nice because I got to watch him and he showed me how the machine worked). 4/5 of the tires had no chance in hell of balancing correctly the first time. He used the machine to find the high spot of the tire and the low spot of the rim, marked each with a wax pencil, unseated the bead, spun the tire on the rim to line up the marks, reseated the bead, and then put them back on the machine to rebalance. It took a lot of extra time and effort, but they came out perfect. I can take my hand off the steering wheel at 80mph and there is no shimmy at all. The only one he couldn't get right was the spare (which I told him not to worry about), but that was because it was pretty badly cupped and already had a tire plug in it. After watching all that and seeing how he went about it, I am a firm believer in the road force balancers.........that being said, the machine is only as good as the tech who is running it
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OoPEZoO
+1

I figured I was in for a rough time with my current setup. I had a shop mount used 32" BFG KM's onto a set of steel wheels. I was 99.99% sure I was going to end up with at least some sort of shimmy. I searched out a local shop that had a GSP9700 and gave them a shot. Since they were a small shop, the guy had no problem with me coming in the garage with him to help out where I could (which was nice because I got to watch him and he showed me how the machine worked). 4/5 of the tires had no chance in hell of balancing correctly the first time. He used the machine to find the high spot of the tire and the low spot of the rim, marked each with a wax pencil, unseated the bead, spun the tire on the rim to line up the marks, reseated the bead, and then put them back on the machine to rebalance. It took a lot of extra time and effort, but they came out perfect. I can take my hand off the steering wheel at 80mph and there is no shimmy at all. The only one he couldn't get right was the spare (which I told him not to worry about), but that was because it was pretty badly cupped and already had a tire plug in it. After watching all that and seeing how he went about it, I am a firm believer in the road force balancers.........that being said, the machine is only as good as the tech who is running it
My experience as well. I did have one tire that was pretty much junk and since I already had it siped, I loaded up some Dyna beads and when I rotated it in and it performed fine.

While the GSP9700 does a great job, it is more time consuming than the typical spin balance. The operator certainly has a lot to do with it and the particular shop I deal with will generally put one of their better techs on it when they see oversize tires roll in.

Also, you can find a Road Force balancer near you by going to Hunter's website.

h t t p://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Before I bought the Goodyear MTRs I had Toyos and the balance was so close that I just used the already purchased Dynabeads. I don't think a single tire would have taken more than 3ozs, and the pre-packaged dynabeads were more than enough.

In all, I have two local shops that have the GSP9700, and one of them actually owns two of them as they do some very specialized alignment work, (classic and exotic vehicles). The best part is they can clearly identify tires that are junk, and that is worth more than the price of admission as you don't need to chase down trying to fix a bad tire.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Also, you can find a Road Force balancer near you by going to Hunter's website.

h t t p://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Go figure, the first shop listed in my area is the one my Jeep club recommends. The one I went to (because tirerack.com recommended them) isn't on the list.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aristobrat
Go figure, the first shop listed in my area is the one my Jeep club recommends. The one I went to (because tirerack.com recommended them) isn't on the list.
Live and learn. I've certainly learned a lot more from my failures than my research despite all my efforts to be more well informed before making decisions, purchase and otherwise. All too often it seems that I need to make a last second compromise and it doesn't turn out well.

Fortunately, getting my tires balanced wasn't one of them.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

we have a road-force ballancer at work and its awsome.

you don't have to guess at turning it 180 or 90.

it tells you to mark the wheel "here" (via laser pointer) then mark the tire "here" and move the tire till the mark on the tire lines up with the one on the rim.

and if that doesn't work it can measure to see if the rim is the problem or if the tire is the problem(with print out).

tire suppliers hate the print outs as they used to always blame the rim or machine.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

One of the guys in my club has 37's each with about a pint of airsoft bullets/pellets inside. No lead on the rims. He's got no complaints on the highway.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

my shop had trouble balancing my KM2s also. i was standing there with the two guys the whole time they showed me how much they would have had to add to the rim and the weights would have gone all the way around. me and the tech got them all mounted and then took it for a spin. we didn't balance any of the tires and initial it was fine. it got a little shaky at 80 but now that i have rotated them once they are absolutely fine w/ out being balanced, no shacks or wobbles and no vibrations.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

What should Road Force balancing run per tire?
I called three local tire shops and one autodealership that were listed on the site for GSP9700.
First place said "Road what balancing?" and I said never mind.
Both the dealership and one tire shop quoted $15 per tire.
The other shop said $40 per tire to do it right. He said he was the only one around that matched the tires to the rims and it was very labor and time intensive.
I thought the whole point of the RFB was to match the rim to the tire before adding weight. Does this mean the other shops have the equipment and don't know how to properly use it?

The shop that originally mounted my tires used an ancient low speed balancer. My rims look like thay have alligators living in them, stick on weights stacked as much as three rows wide and 1/4 way around the wheel....lol

Last edited by Claydigger; 08-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Go some place else. I have had 35's on my F-350 for 10 years and never ran into anyone not being able to balance them.

Quick Reply: Tire shop can't balance 35" KM2s?