Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire shop can't balance 35" KM2s?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire shop can't balance 35" KM2s?

Had five 35x12.5x17 KM2s shipped to a "recommended installer" to be put on five new AEV Pintler wheels. They were also to take the TPMS from my stockers and move 'em over.

Tire shop called a bit ago to say they're having problems balancing the tires, that they had about 9oz of weight on each, and that it's not really working.

They were going to call their warehouse tomorrow about "getting something that goes on the inside of the tire to balance it better, but it'd cost some money and they'd let me know how much it was to see if I wanted it"?

I thought I read on some threads (that I naturally can't find now that I'm about to freak out) that the weights go on the inside of these tires, so is their second approach of "getting something that goes on the inside of the tire to balance it better" the proper way?

Any comments would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they might have to rotate the tires on the rim and try rebalancing them.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by backroadman81
they might have to rotate the tires on the rim and try rebalancing them.
thats exactly what i was gonna say. tell them to move the tire 180 degrees on the rim. if there a good shop they should have known that. its also bad to have weights on one side 180 degrees opposide each other. all weights should be in the same spot, not some at say 9 o'clock, and some at 3 o'clock on same side of rim....
Old 08-24-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

what they are saying about inside the tire is putting in beads or powder.. I just had the powder pulled from my tires as it was inconsitant 1 minuite it would be smooth the next it would wobble and I just did not like it.. so here is what I got going on

Its all painted so you dont see the weights anymore but 1 tire took over 28oz to balance but now it rides so nice i can do 100kms/hr and take my hand off the wheel and it drives straight with no wobble. And I am not running a steeering stabilizer

PS. this is just 1 of my tires and only 1 side
Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by john smack
what they are saying about inside the tire is putting in beads or powder.. I just had the powder pulled from my tires as it was inconsitant 1 minuite it would be smooth the next it would wobble and I just did not like it.. so here is what I got going on

Its all painted so you dont see the weights anymore but 1 tire took over 28oz to balance but now it rides so nice i can do 100kms/hr and take my hand off the wheel and it drives straight with no wobble. And I am not running a steeering stabilizer

PS. this is just 1 of my tires and only 1 side
good god did u have to take a loan out for all that weight!!!!! wow thats alot of weights.. i thought my 3+oz was alot.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

If you are having the TPMS transfered over you really want to avoid using anything internal to the tire. The beades and powders can cause damage to your TPMS. I am not saying they will, but you sure as heck wouldnt be the first to have it happen either.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

yeah there is definatly a little weight on these puppies but it is way better than the powder ever was
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

If they use equal powder u will not be able to transfer over ur TPMS. Special valve stems are used to keep the powder in. The powder will mess up ur sensors. I used equal powder to balance but I didnt transfer over my TPMS because I dont care for it. The light is always on but u get used to it. I have not had any problems with equal. It balanced my tires pretty good.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, so beads/powder aren't really an option if you have TPMS inside. I'll verify what the shop meant. They seemed concerned that they had 9oz of weight on and couldn't get a good balance. I'll ask if they tried rotating the tires 180'.

I was hoping by going with the 17's vs 15's I'd be avoiding some of this craziness! I didn't know these things could be that difficult to balance!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

I won't accept a tire that's too far out to conventionally balance on any vehicle. Have them supply another tire.

Quick Reply: Tire shop can't balance 35" KM2s?