Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire rubs but shouldn't help please

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rubs but shouldn't help please

Some may have already seen I was planing on putting MTR/Ks on soon. Well very happily I did just yesterday. I drove to work no issues. But today backing out of the gas station there was a rubbing noise. Defiantly the inner tread blocks on something. It was dark and I haven't had a chance to see where it may be rubbing. I have had friends and the guys at the tire place check and both have said tire at full turn isn't touching anything. So why a rub now a day later backing out of a level parking lot???

Tires are 285/70r17 mtr/ks I have black rock vipers that are 4.5 backspacing. No lift, stock bumper so no extra weight there. Oh and it's a 2012 JKU.

Oh and being that the tires are only 33s do you guys think it would be beneficial to get the procal?? After the rubbing makes me think of lifting in the future. But don't know if funds will allow that any time soon
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
JK Freak

maybe you have something hanging down...inner fender well. Hard to give a diagnosis, i think you are just going to have to wait for daylight and check everything and post up pics if you cant find anything
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could be the little plastic piece under the front bumper. I installed a 3" lift with 35s and mine still rubbed when I turned all the way so I had to see where it was rubbing and mark it and then just trim down the plastic.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

I rub as well. I couldnt find my rub for the life of me. Im running wheel spacers as recommended because I stuck with stock wheel and threw on some Guard Dog 315/70r17's. For weeks I looked and looked, I finally found my rub. The Jeep cranks the front tires so far that I actually rub my front Lower Control Arms. I can get rid of the rub by placing a washer in the steer stop stud. Maybe you are hitting the same thing. Good luck finding it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

If ur referring to the plastic air dam/ skid plate whatever.lol yeah that's what I was thinking too. The only thing I can think too is the MTRs really do run larger than most 33s. I might go ahead and by the procal cuz the more I look the more I want a lift. Lol
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same rub when backing up.

I haven't done anything to really source where the rub is buy I am pretty sure it's against the control arms too.

Anxious to see if there is an easy cure.
When I reverse I just go to full lock and then back off slightly.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by preppjoel
I have the same rub when backing up.

I haven't done anything to really source where the rub is buy I am pretty sure it's against the control arms too.

Anxious to see if there is an easy cure.
When I reverse I just go to full lock and then back off slightly.
The cure is to put a washer behind your steer stop stud. Let me find you a pic.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Use a 3/8 washer..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1614454722.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	424972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2679981671.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	424973  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Good thought just stop the tire that tiny bit before it rubs. I'll look into do that. But I still wanna know where it's rubbing especially sense I researched the heck out of this and was not expecting and rubbing at all with my setup.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
JK Freak

I hear ya, like I said I was getting pretty pissed that I couldnt find mine. The only way I found it is because the paint is gone on my LCA's in a lil spot on both side.

Quick Reply: Tire rubs but shouldn't help please