Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire rub mystery

Old 04-30-2016 | 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tire rub mystery

First off, here's my stats...
2.5" TF lift
RK control arms
JKS adj track bar
35" BFG KO2
Wheels have 4.5" backspacing

My driver side steer tire rubs the control arm at full left steering lock. This is the only rub I have. My axle was about a half inch off center, so I bought the adj track bar. The axle is perfectly centered now, but the tire still rubs the control arm on the driver's side only.
I'm stumped. The only explanation I can think of is that my steering can go farther to the left than it can to the right.
Is my range of steering off center? And if it is, can that be adjusted?
Old 04-30-2016 | 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak
Veteran: Air Force

Just place a washer or two on the steer stop. I believe RK arms are bent downward for vertical clearance but no bend from center of frame outward for tire turn room.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 04-30-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2016 | 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

I had to put washers on my steering stops so my tires wouldn't rub. It only took one washer so mine wouldn't rub.
Old 05-01-2016 | 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Is this when driving or just rubbing off road? What is the width of your wheels? Are your arms installed correctly? How did you determine the axle is centered, the front can be hard to find a good measurement from center.
Old 05-01-2016 | 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Had the same issue with rubicon takeoff tires and my 3.5" Rough Country lift. Either get a set of wheel spaces, add washers to the bump stop or get new rims with a deeper(?) offset
Old 05-01-2016 | 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

OP here. I did some investigating and it turns out my Jeep DOES turn sharper to the left than it does the right. I added a washer to the driver's side steering stop and all is well now.
Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 05-01-2016 | 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Is this when driving or just rubbing off road? What is the width of your wheels? Are your arms installed correctly? How did you determine the axle is centered, the front can be hard to find a good measurement from center.
The tire was rubbing on road. Not a lot, but enough to feel the tire's lugs popping past the control arm. My RK control arms don't bend inboard for tire clearance. They bend up for ground clearance. To center the axle I used a measurement from the top of the coil spring mount to the outer edge of the tire's tread.
The problem was with my steering stops. They were not set identical to each other. Adding a single washer to the left stop made it match the right stop.
Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Tire rub mystery