Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire rotation.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rotation.

BF Goodrich a/t 33inch. Should I just be rotating front to back or should I rotate side to side as well?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rears move straight forward.

The fronts switch sides to the rear. Left front to right rear, right rear to right front, right front to left rear, left rear to left front. Thats primo. Most irregular wear will even itself out.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie
Veteran: Air Force

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any reason why you're not rotating the spare in? Totally personal preference but I figure if I paid for a spare, I'm going to use it. Search for the 5-tire rotation, just another option to think about.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto on that rotation to make them last and even wear.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you're further off doing a five tire rotation. Not only do you get more milage out of a set of tires, but when it comes time to replace the set you don't have a brand new spare that's useless. If you decide to change tire brand, model, or size, you can't reuse your current spare.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A spare is just that. SPARE. You dont put a spare on for shits and giggles. You put a spare on because a tire is FLAT, and you have no other OPTIONS to DRIVE the JEEP out of whatever shithole you currently have a flat in.

So why would you chance damaging the spare by rotating it in?

My spare is squeaky clean. If I change tires to a different size or brand, i'll sell it on craigslist.

The tires don't last 20% longer. You can use them for a 20% longer time, but then you have to buy five tires.

What do I know? I just worked at Les Schwab Tire Center for two years.

I'm probably guessing

Ive got 22,000 on my Toyos and they'll go another 20,000
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Blakspire
A spare is just that. SPARE. You dont put a spare on for shits and giggles. You put a spare on because a tire is FLAT, and you have no other OPTIONS to DRIVE the JEEP out of whatever shithole you currently have a flat in.

My spare is squeaky clean. If I change tires to a different size or brand, i'll sell it on craigslist.

The tires don't last 20% longer. You can use them for a 20% longer time, but then you have to buy five tires.

I'm probably guessing

Seems like poor advise to me. Nothing like having a spare you can only use for a few days because the treads are so far mismatched from the rest. If I need my spare I prefer not to have to buy new tires without being able to plan and save.
To each his own I guess.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Junkie
Veteran: Air Force

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm probably guessing

Good advice for a car maybe, when you don't have a full size spare. If you keep a good rotation schedule with all 5, you get nice even wear and use what you paid for. If you get a flat, put the spare on, it's not like it's going to be bald or something if you rotate it in.

My spare has been rotated in plenty of times now and it's in perfect condition. Maybe I'm wrong though, I haven't worked in a tire store.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

4 tire rotation I'd pick "A".

Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_rotation_abc.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	349266

5 tire rotation I use "G" every 5k when changing oil.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_rotation_fg.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	349268
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm probably guessing

So after 5 years of keeping the same spare sitting out in the sun on the back of your jeep would you really trust using it in an emergency? Once the tire begins to dry rot it means you paid for a tire you never used. I don't know a lot about tires but I stayed at a holiday inn express once.

Quick Reply: Tire rotation.