Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Rotation

Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It will not damage the tires--that may have been true decades ago, but no longer. Here's a novel idea: Follow the rotation diagram in your owners manual. :-)
Originally Posted by IXPLORN
Thanks for your novel suggestion, you're such a smart . . .
Sorry, I wasn't clear. This owner's manual:

tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GYEAR1.pdf

Unfortunately, it says to contact the vehicle manufacturer or Goodyear for the rotation pattern.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mud terrains, rotate every 4000. For all terrains, every 6000.

Assuming tires are not directional....

Front tires switch sides and go back. the rear tires go straight to the front on the same side.

And noise/vibration is normally louder after a rotation for a little while, since the tires are not running on worn tread anymore. They are now getting "rounded out" again due to them being in a different location.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont run on the Goodyears, but, as a rule, on all my 4x4 trucks with other than stock tires, I have always rotated at every oil change (3000-3500 mi.) and have never had any major issues!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the rotation pattern suggested above, how are you guys rotating in your spares (if you're doing it at all)? I never have but am considering it. My guess is that it shouldn't really matter which tire you rotate out as long as it's always from the same position. does this sound logical?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This JK is my first with the spare tire thing. But right now it is mismatching so I don't include it lol.

When I go up to 35s, I will slap on an old worn 35 on my stock rim for a spare when needed.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDJKER
With the rotation pattern suggested above, how are you guys rotating in your spares (if you're doing it at all)? I never have but am considering it. My guess is that it shouldn't really matter which tire you rotate out as long as it's always from the same position. does this sound logical?
I do what they call a rearward cross.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seir
I do what they call a rearward cross.

X2 same pattern. 35k on my STT's with no issues.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

so anyone running 35's have input on rotating in the spare? seems to me since my Toyo that hasn't hit the ground cost a lot.. I should rotate it in to get some use out of it.

has anyone done this for the whole life of a M/T tire and have feedback on if it extends the mileage you got out of 'em?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landoJEEP
so anyone running 35's have input on rotating in the spare? seems to me since my Toyo that hasn't hit the ground cost a lot.. I should rotate it in to get some use out of it.

has anyone done this for the whole life of a M/T tire and have feedback on if it extends the mileage you got out of 'em?
Can't speak to the specifics of 35's but I do it because based on the numbers alone; they tell me I will extend the life of my tires by 20% by rotating in the spare. Plus, near the end of my tires life, I wouldn't want a spare with 100% tread as that would seem to be very imbalanced if I ever had to put it to use.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent point. think i'll be using mine when it's rotate time.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation