Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Rotation

Old 05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rotation

I'm running on 35" Goodyear MT/R's and want to avoid cupping & excessive tire noise on the road. With about 1000 miles on the tires I have rotated them front to back once. Yesterday I noticed the tires seem to be getting louder.

My question is: Can I rotate them left to right or will that damage the tires?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by IXPLORN
I'm running on 35" Goodyear MT/R's and want to avoid cupping & excessive tire noise on the road. With about 1000 miles on the tires I have rotated them front to back once. Yesterday I noticed the tires seem to be getting louder.

Thanks.
Front to Rear, Rear to Front
Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by IXPLORN

Thanks.
It will not damage the tires--that may have been true decades ago, but no longer. Here's a novel idea: Follow the rotation diagram in your owners manual. :-)
Old 05-19-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

I think the MTRs are directional tread. I think you have to do front to back and back to front and not switch sides...better check with Goodyear to be sure.

In addition, you may want to add your spare if it matches into the rotation...just a thought.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It will not damage the tires--that may have been true decades ago, but no longer. Here's a novel idea: Follow the rotation diagram in your owners manual. :-)
Thanks for your novel suggestion, you're such a smart . . .

For anyone else curious about this the owners manual suggests the forward-cross method where the rear tires come forward and the left front tire goes to the right rear and the right front goes to the left rear.

Last edited by IXPLORN; 05-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The owners Manuel is for stock stuff ,doesn't know that ur running MTR's. Not sure if they are directional or not. Call and ask wherever you bought the tires from. If they arnt directional move the rear straight up and cross the front to the rear.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

IIRC MTR's are not directional, they're asymmetrical. There's an outside and an inside to the tire. L/R rotation is fine.

I'll double check when I get to my desktop.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07 JK "bullfrog"
The owners Manuel is for stock stuff ,doesn't know that ur running MTR's. Not sure if they are directional or not. Call and ask wherever you bought the tires from. If they arnt directional move the rear straight up and cross the front to the rear.
They are not directional, so the standerd rotation works. Move the rears straight up and cross the front to the rear.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coley
IIRC MTR's are not directional, they're asymmetrical. There's an outside and an inside to the tire. L/R rotation is fine.

I'll double check when I get to my desktop.

Check the pic: big lugs on the outside, small lugs on the inside. You cross them side to side and the tread will still be the same.

Goodyear MTR's are NOT directional. You DO have to mount them so that one face of the tire faces outside - that makes them asymmetrical.

From Goodyears site:

Innovative Asymmetric Tread Design Helps Provide Aggressive Off-Road Traction And Enhanced Handling On The Road
Old 05-20-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

Yup, you're right! I knew there was something different about the tread pattern...glad to see they're not directional.

I would still consider rotating your spare in if it matches...

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation