Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire rotation?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire rotation?

I have 3/32 tread worn off my 33x12.5's. My tires are Pro Comp X-Treme AT's, they are a directional tire, I know I can only go front to back, not side to side. Here is what I'm wondering, I have a brand new spare, can I put it on the back now? I will work it in the rotation every 5-7K's, actually break it down once it is ready to go to the other side. Should 3/32's make a difference, will it screw up my gears?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For a full time 5 tire rotation, you'll want all 5 to be somewhere close to the same treadwear. Get it in as soon as you can, and keep the spare in the rotation every time. (PC wants the tires rotated every 3-5k, documented, for warranty purposes)

For a 'get you back home' spare, you won't need to worry about the tread difference.

If you are driving with an auto-locker, you'll want to match up tire heights, and put the closest pairs on the same axle. Open diffs, a small height difference shouldn't matter. (I did see one post indicating that it may have caused a wobble, but haven't seen any others to back it up. Might have been mkjeep? Or maybe planman? Been a while, just don't recall who...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-01-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire rotation?