Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire/rim

Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire/rim

I currently have stock rims on my jku with 33 inch tires. I would like a wider stance. If I get rims with a less backspace. Would I need to buy new tires or would the set I have fit?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not likely. If you go with a 9" wide rim, you can fit just about width tire from 10.5 to 11" wide upto a 13" wide tire without stretching or bulging the tire to the point where it looks dumb.

You should check the tire you have for the recommended wheel width. They usually provide a range on the manufacturers website. And you can usually add your own tolerance to that, +/- 1/2 to one inch and still be in a safe zone.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The less backspace you have the further it will stick out. I believe stock BS is 6.25
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	backspacing.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	535729  

Quick Reply: Tire/rim