Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire reviews

Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
they may be heavy but that's because their sidewalls are practically bullet proof. for me, i'd rather have that then a lightweight tire that'll leave me high and dry on the trail. but, that's just me.
Well if that's the only thing that matters, then shouldn't you be using Super Swamper SX tires? Or for that matter, how about some commercial off-road construction equipment tires?

The number one problem with the Nitto's is their lack of adequate siping for even wear and adequate traction in wet, snowy, or icy conditions. You can always take them to a tire shop to have them siped, but that just further increases their cost.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
Well if that's the only thing that matters, then shouldn't you be using Super Swamper SX tires? Or for that matter, how about some commercial off-road construction equipment tires?
funny, i don't recall saying that was "the only thing that matters"

The number one problem with the Nitto's is their lack of adequate siping for even wear and adequate traction in wet, snowy, or icy conditions. You can always take them to a tire shop to have them siped, but that just further increases their cost.
and, is it safe to say that your opinion of these tires is based on actual personal experience? or, are you just making assumptions as to how they'll wear? i see you live up in echo summit and can only assume that you live near tahoe. if that's true, may i remind you that not everyone sees snowy or icy conditions like you do and having siped tires isn't something that everyone needs or even cares to have. in fact, if you took the time to look, you'd see that the OP lives in alabama and, i seriously doubt that this is a concern of his. but, i could be wrong.

for the record, i have tested out a set of nitto trail grapplers and, not only are they tough, they are surprisingly quite for an MT tread, balance incredibly well and have a nice rubber compound that performs well both on and off the trail.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-31-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjntj2003
is there any good websites for tire reviews? i'm so tired of tire shopping so looking for reviews to help in the decision making. also any input from you guys is appreciated . not a lot of offroading, mostly mud when i do, very little rock, and it is my daily driver.

i have narrowed it down to 4 tires all in 285-70-17 size # indicates my choices in order.
nitto tera grapplers #4
nitto trail grapplers #3
hankook dynapro m/t #2
kelly fierce attitude m/t #1
I don't have any experience with the other tires but I do own the trail grapplers in 295/70-17. The are a ten ply tire and are very heavy compared to the stock BFG MT but overall, I think 5 tires mounted on the Jeep comes out to less than 80 pounds difference overall weight compared to stock (with PSI difference 37 stock, 28 Nitto). They look amazing but are not as quiet as some people have said either on this site or others, lets be real, your Jeep with MT isn't gonna be as quiet as a Lexus. They handle perfectly on road, balanced and good lateral bite along with great take off but we aren't talking about super street tires, although they are impressive when pushed for an MT tire. They do make road hum when aired to 28-30psi but still not bad and def not intolerable for a daily driver, most def better than some tires I hear going down the road. When aired higher, they are hard as rocks making every bump felt but do run quieter, almost quieter than the stock BFG but it would be a waste of going wider and taller only to waste the tire by over inflating, IMHO. All in all, I'm very happy with these Nitto's.

Last edited by Paulsfin; 01-31-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the Fierce and have been have been happy with them. I have been in the rocks in Colorado and in some mud around local trails and have not had any issues. I was concerned about some of the sharp rocks climbing some trails in Colorado cutting into the sidewalls but didn't have any problems at all. I would say the road noise isn't any worse than the BFG M/T's that came on mine stock. The cost is reasonable compared to other brands and Kelly/Dunlop/Goodyear are generally reputable brands. But, that's all just my opinion. They are nearly the same tread pattern as the Duratrac, just a little more aggressive and cost less.

Last edited by Friday2322; 01-31-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm merely providing him with some other factors to consider in his tire purchase. No tire is perfect, so you need to weigh the pluses and minuses to each one if you're going to find the best one for your needs.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

I love my trail grapplers... Awesome on the trail an can't believe how quite they are for a MT tire... If you shop around for them you can get them for just bout the same price as any other tire on your list
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nitto Grapplers. Tough, grippy and reasonably quite and very stable on payment. Just rock crawled by lifting on the sidewalls, no issues. Always worried before with my other tires (procomp XMTs)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconGeoff
I'm merely providing him with some other factors to consider in his tire purchase. No tire is perfect, so you need to weigh the pluses and minuses to each one if you're going to find the best one for your needs.
just what i thought, you have no experience with nitto trail grapplers

funny, i don't recall ever saying anything about "perfect" tires, i merely shared my personal experiences with nitto trail grapplers. also, i don't recall ever saying anything negative about the tires you've recommended but of course, that's because i have no experience with them and wouldn't assume to talk about them like i did. but hey, that's just me.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jjntj2003
is there any good websites for tire reviews? i'm so tired of tire shopping so looking for reviews to help in the decision making. also any input from you guys is appreciated . not a lot of offroading, mostly mud when i do, very little rock, and it is my daily driver.

i have narrowed it down to 4 tires all in 285-70-17 size # indicates my choices in order.
nitto tera grapplers #4
nitto trail grapplers #3
hankook dynapro m/t #2
kelly fierce attitude m/t #1
Everything you need is here...

offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/mud.htm

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-31-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Ok here's the deal. According to that site the fierce attitudes are made by goodyear but I thought they were by Kelley? Are Goodyear and Kelley owned by the same company? If so wouldn't they be compatible to the duratracs?

So far found them
Listed by

Dunlop
Goodyear
Kelley

Who actually makes them?

Last edited by jjntj2003; 01-31-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: tire reviews