Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which Tire Rating for offroad and a DD
C rating
4.35%
D rating
34.78%
E rating
60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Which Tire rating for offroad and DD

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just switched from my Sahara wheels 18" with 33" Duratracs ( Load D) to a 15" Wheel and tire package with 15" MB TKOs & 35x12.50x15 KM2s ( load C ). I didn't notice this at first but now I'm a little worried about the load range C tires. I guess I'll see when they show up this week.

Did I screw up? Any negatives on the load C?

2012 JKU Auto
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Kichu
Not to hijack, but is there a fuel economy difference between D/E? Overall firmer tires do better, but how does that work once the psi are down?
E range tires tend to be heavy by the nature of thier design (thick rubber and numerous plies) so I do think the heavier tires cut down on mpg and even accelleration a bit.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kichu
Not to hijack, but is there a fuel economy difference between D/E? Overall firmer tires do better, but how does that work once the psi are down?
Why would there be a fuel economy / milage rating differance between C,D or E rated tires? The outer tread componds are all the same ( within the same make / model tire ).

JK-jeepit - If you need off-road capabilities, go E - rated. But the lesser rateings will be more road friendly.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Why would there be a fuel economy / milage rating differance between C,D or E rated tires? The outer tread componds are all the same ( within the same make / model tire ).

JK-jeepit - If you need off-road capabilities, go E - rated. But the lesser rateings will be more road friendly.
I personally think for the sake of argument that a 33" tire that weighs 30 lbs vs a 33" tire that weighs 60 lbs will get better mpg in dd conditions. That all said my E rated tires are every bit as smooth as my P rated stock tires were.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far for my research on new tires it looks like most tires that come in the larger sizes come in an E rating...
at least the ones I've looked at anyhow...
So I can see why most don't have a problem with E rating tires..

Quick Reply: Which Tire rating for offroad and DD