Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Rash?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Rash?

My brother who knows nothing about tires picked up a used set of Mickey Thompson ATZs for me because he lives much closer to the seller. The seller assured me the tires were fine and overall they are fine except 3 of the 5 tires have sidewall damage like the pic below. The damage appears to just be a through the outer layer of rubber causing the white layer to show through. The damage pattern on all three tires is the same and looks as though it was done when the tires were removed from the rims. These were supposed to go on the JK which is my wife's daily (she works from home, used about 500 miles a month mostly highway/state road miles as her family lives out of town). We don't wheel anywhere there are rocks, but I would imagine some guys have rock rash much worse than this.

Safe to put on the JK?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	570628
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey it's your wife...

It's hard to tell how deep some of those gashes are from the picture. Are you happy knowing your wife will be on the highway with them?? If so then I guess you have your answer!
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProtonVX
My brother who knows nothing about tires picked up a used set of Mickey Thompson ATZs for me because he lives much closer to the seller. The seller assured me the tires were fine and overall they are fine except 3 of the 5 tires have sidewall damage like the pic below. The damage appears to just be a through the outer layer of rubber causing the white layer to show through. The damage pattern on all three tires is the same and looks as though it was done when the tires were removed from the rims. These were supposed to go on the JK which is my wife's daily (she works from home, used about 500 miles a month mostly highway/state road miles as her family lives out of town). We don't wheel anywhere there are rocks, but I would imagine some guys have rock rash much worse than this.

Safe to put on the JK?

Attachment 570628

It depends on how much you love your wife...

No, seriously, I don't know that much about tires, except that the sidewalls are the most vulnerable part of the tire and they are where small issues become serious issues. When you are seeing something in the tire that is not black, then it is probably the polyester or steel of the belt. If the cut is all the way to the belt, then I would say that you are taking a chance to continue to use it for high speed driving.

Take it to a tire shop that you trust and have them look at it.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your money back.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the shop, they say no issues. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Tire Rash?