Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire question

Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire question

Ok. I've never quite understood much about tire sizes so I'm looking for some enlightenment.

The tirerack.com is advertising GoodYear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar tires for sale in the following two sizes (among others).

35x12.5 R-15 $197/tire
35x12.5 R-17 $269/tire

Explain why the two tires are different prices, please. From what I understand, the 17 inch rim tire would have less actual tire, wouldn't it? Why is it more expensive? Is it more difficult to make the sidewall strong on a shorter sidewall?

Other than the rim, are the tires the same size, or am I missing something?

What would be the advantage/disadvantage to running the 15 inch rims or 17 inch rims?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

From what I understand the smaller tires are cheaper because they were the common size for so long. More options to choose from, more competitive pricing. Now people are moving up to 17, 18 and the companies can charge more.

Thats what I gathered from reading forums for a while. Im sure ill be corrected if way off.

A 35" tires is the same on 15,16 or 17.

I recently upgraded to 35" and went with a 16" rim so I can save money over time on the tires.

Sean
Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

15" rim = cheapest, more sidewall
16" rim = cheap, still good amount of sidewall
17" rim = not so cheap, less sidewall

the outside diameter of a 35" tire will be the same regardless of wheel size, but the larger diameter wheel then the less sidewall you have, obviously....some 15" wheels won't clear the brake caliper so make sure before you buy.

Quick Reply: tire question