Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire question...

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question...

So,
i live right next to the local Pep Boys and stopped in to price optima batteries when i noticed what i though was a Goodyear MT/S. to my surprise it was a Pep Boys brand. My question is since i was contemplating a 285 75/16 Goodyear MT/S, this tire is almost identical, tread design, weight, ply count... is it worth the savings?

D'OH!!!! typo... i meant the MT/R

Last edited by paramaniac; 06-14-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Goodyear MT/R

Not sure who makes the store brand. I run the Goodyear MT/R's and they are great. Worked real good on Moab slickrock. I'd say go with Goodyear
Old 06-14-2008, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen anything about this tire. Did you ask PepBoys who makes this tire for them?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Here's a cheaper tire that I've read alot of good reviews on. Found 'em for $150/tire for 33x12.5R16 at onlinetires.com

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Hankook-MT.htm

Last edited by Robar; 06-29-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: PLEASE DON'T POST DIRECT EBAY LINKS.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Freak

thanks for the replies....

i never thought to ask who makes the tire for them.

as a follow up, is there somewhere i can find out what the biggest tire i can put on the stock suspension? i dont plan on a lift, the x is my daily driver and i have 2 little ones

ive been searching the board, maybe i just over looked it?

thanks again, i wont be a newbie for long!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

Well......the 4WD Hardware mag says that 31" is the largest you can go with. But guys are putting lots bigger on their JKs with the stock suspension with little, to no problems at all. My 2 door X is my DD also, so I didn't want to go too big and suffer at the gas pumps either. I read, and read, and read somemore on this forum and came up with 33's as the best way to go with no lift. I went with a 285/75/16 AT which is 11.5 inches wide. I was worried that I may rub at full turn lock, but have no problems with that. Now.......will I rub at full flex?...I don't know as I haven't done any major wheelin' yet. If I do, from what I've read, it will be minimal. I still plan on getting a 2-2.5" bb lift down the road. But for now I am quite happy with my decision as the looks changed dramatically and the ride is still great. Check out the pics on my project jk.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

i just left Pep Boys... did chrysler go with ALL cheap stuff on these jeeps? I went to use my windshield wipers and they basically disintegrated!

back to the tires... i asked who makes the tires for them and was told Cooper. They seem to be a good tire, nice agressive tread, 6 ply construction and they are doing a buy 3 get one free. so now the question continues... are cooper good tires?

gimme time, i learn, i promise!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

I think Cooper makes an excellent tire but would never buy a cooper as they have so many knockoffs available much cheaper. I just took off some Trailcutter R/T's made by cooper and they seemed to be excellent and I also ran El Dorado's made by them on my Blazer which wore well and worked great. I'd say go for it!
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cooper has been making quality tires for years.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I had a set on my Magnum for 18 months and they were in great shape when I traded it in.

Quick Reply: Tire question...