Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire question

Old 04-26-2016, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just finish installation of 4.5 lift kit from AEV and 35s on my JKU 2014 3.73 axle, the major effect is the mpg. slight difference in shifting points.

the car performance look fine, i don't do rock crawling at all but i ride the dunes on weekly basis.

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Can anybody, expert or otherwise, give me the low down on the gearing and difference running the Cooper STT 33" and the 35" same brand tire please.....there is only about 1.11 inches difference in size there according to Coopers website and the 35's are about a pound and a half heavier. Doesn't seem like much but until I have the opportunity to re-gear I'd like to go ahead and get the tires and run them for a while, although I want to be able to travel fairly normal and not bog down my JK. Was just interested if anybody has gone up in size without regear and how painful life was afterward. FYI 3.73 is what I'm running on an 08
Old 04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by adernayka
on my JKU 2014 3.73 axle,
Different engine, different transmission, different gearing needs...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
it sure beats scouring this forum and reading the 10 million threads on the personal re-gear dilemma.
Yep, that's why I mentioned all the other threads. All that opinion, and no consensus whatsoever. There is too much variance in altitude and location and build and use and personal preference. Everyone has a different opinion on it, and none of us know yours, so all you will get are a bunch of recommendations that mimic what has already been said in every other gearing thread.

Many people have run bigger tires with stock gears. Nothing new there. I agree that OD/Off isn't the best solution, but it works, and many of us with 3.8 auto's have used it over the years. (with 5.38's and 37's, I still turn it off occasionally). If you choose to go ahead with the tires, turning it off sure beats lugging the engine and constantly shifting in and out of overdrive and the possibility of burning up the trans. And with the charts and knowing that the OD ratio is .69, you can easily run the numbers to get an idea of where your rpm's will be with different tire sizes.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-26-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire question