Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Pressure Question

Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Question

I have BFG KM2's. The side of the tire says max pressure is 50 psi. When I am off road I run them down to around 12 psi.
QUESTION: What is the right pressure to run on the streets?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

It all depends on your tire size and also the rim width. I can tell you it's not 50! You could ask around and see what other guys with your setup are running, but the best way to figure it out is to do the chalk test. That willl give you the best tire pressure for your rig to account for your bumper weight and such. Get yourself some sidewalk chalk(kids aisle at walmart). Then chalk the contact surface of your tire. take it for a little drive at speed.(a mile or so) then look at how the chalk is worn. If you have more chalk at the edge than at the center, your tires are underinflated. If you have more chalk at the center, they are overinflated. I have km2 32's and I run 33 psi @ all four corners.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the tip, I will try the chalk test. I am running 35's.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From the Faq's...

Q: On the road, what PSI should I be running in my tires?
A: For optimal comfort and even tire wear. you should not run the recommended PSI listed on the sidewalls of your tires. Typically this will be way too much. On average for a 33" tire, I would recommend that you run your tires at approximately 28-30 PSI. For a 35" tire, I would recommend running approximately 26-28 PSI. For a 37" tire, I would recommend approximately 24-26 PSI.

Q: On the trail, how much should I air my tires down to?
A: Typically, I recommend that people air the tires down to about 10~15 psi.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Question