Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Pressure Mud Grappler 38 x 15.5 x 18

Old 12-23-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Mud Grappler 38 x 15.5 x 18

Just upgraded my JKUR with life and 38" Mud Grapplers ( 38 x 15.5 x 18). Very meaty tires. I am not sure what tire pressure to air down to when going off road. This weekend I will be going out in mud (and maybe snow). Seems like the general consensus is that most people don't air down enough with the concern that if you air down too much you run this risk of the tires coming off of the rims. I seems like the general consensus is 10-12 lbs or so for most tires that are run on the JK and that the larger the tire, the lower you can go. I would think that based on what I have read, that I could/should go down to 8 PSI although that scares me. Is that too low?? Should I have a different range for mud versus snow versus rocks?

Thanks for helping a relative newbie!!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Former Vendor

What width are you rims? If you're running a 10 inch rim with 15.5 inch wide tires you'll have plenty of side wall pressure to run 8-10 lbs. If you don't need the traction you can air down to a higher pressure, but if you think you need it, you can run 8-10.

In snow and mud you'll want to be in 4HI. This will give you a fast wheel speed which can be good to get some wheel speed up and clean out the tread. If you're crawling on rocks and need low speed but more the torque of higher RPM's, then switch to 4LO.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan
Old 12-23-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XTRyan
What width are you rims? If you're running a 10 inch rim with 15.5 inch wide tires you'll have plenty of side wall pressure to run 8-10 lbs. If you don't need the traction you can air down to a higher pressure, but if you think you need it, you can run 8-10.

In snow and mud you'll want to be in 4HI. This will give you a fast wheel speed which can be good to get some wheel speed up and clean out the tread. If you're crawling on rocks and need low speed but more the torque of higher RPM's, then switch to 4LO.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan
Thank Ryan

Very helpful - yes, the rims are 18 x 10
Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKJEDIINTRAINING
Thank Ryan

Very helpful - yes, the rims are 18 x 10

Not to get too far off topic, what axels are you running with those tires?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Mud Grappler 38 x 15.5 x 18