Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire pressure guages

Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochie

I didn't think the TPMS was required on JK's until 2008.
You're correct.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cervelo
Just had this conversation with a shop in Va. and Discount Tire earlier in the week. If you got a 2012 the TPMS have to be in and work. Thanks federal govt.! It was even suggested that if their not in and you were in an accident your insurance company could say your on your own. Now I'm taking my tires and rims to be mounted today and not telling anyone what there going on! Not sure how they test for them if they do at all. Any other experience out there?
That sounds like a crock.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubi3

That sounds like a crock.
I agree; it's not like they are going to make you break apart a tire to check if it's there (or use a reader to see if it's disabled.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

No i don't think that either. But if you roll up to the tire store and say leave out the sensors on your 2008-2012 Jeep or another vehicle equipped with them most shops are going to say no can do IMO. Now this is a guess on my part but if they start plugging their computer into your computer bingo they gotcha, enforcement? who knows? Just passing along what I found out your results may vary!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work in custom tire shop and DO ask what wheels and tires are going on BUT if you tell me it's something other than a vehicle that requires sensors I will not investigate your past to see if you're lying.
Most aftermarket wheels will accept stock sensors so why wouldn't you swap sensors like 99% of people do anyway!? Wheel shops usually charge a little extra to swap the sensors because of the chance of breaking them but IMO it's worth it to have them just in case of an accident and insurance investigation???
Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

My local Discount Tire moved the TPMS sensors from my stock wheels to my aftermarket wheels at no charge. I then sold my stock wheels/tires with the notice that they did not have TPMS sensors. The buyer then has the option to buy their own or not worry about it. In my case, the buyer had an older Jeep without TPMS so was happy with no sensors.

Quick Reply: tire pressure guages