Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tire pressure guages

Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressure guages

I have 2012 wrangler unlimited and purchased 35's and new rugged ridge tires...wanted to get them mounted and balanced...but they say I need to purchase tire pressure fishes for each tire for about 70.00 each... Plz advise, is this normal and is it needed?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

they are saying you need TPMS - tire pressure monitoring system and, you don't need them but, if you don't install them, you will get a light on your dash. an aev procal will turn this off and that only costs about $100. i would recommend going that route.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Ha...darn auto-correct..yes, I mean gauges not fishes..

Thanks for the help, and the new option..
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2007 Sahara that has a light for the sensors but I do not have sensors and the light stays off always for me..never have had any programmers or anything
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Big roger that on programmers. I bought Superchips to do the same thing. (As well as convince the 3.8 that overdrive is useful LOL Great before gears and still good after!) If you get the sensors it will just come back to haunt you again next time to need new tires. Put that dog to rest now!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jreyes24
I have a 2007 Sahara that has a light for the sensors but I do not have sensors and the light stays off always for me..never have had any programmers or anything
I didn't think the TPMS was required on JK's until 2008.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

When you use an AEV procal to turn the tpms light off, will it affect a state inspection? I know it sounds silly but I was surprised at all the sensors that show up on the inspection report.

I hope this isn't a hijack and still relevant to the OPs situation.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a link to tire rack regarding tpms and state inspections in certain states.

ht tp://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=214

Last edited by Absolute; 12-30-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: please, no direct links to non sponsor sellers
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see how the procal would impact inspection. Here in MD I was concerned about it goofing up emissions inspection after I used a Flashpaq programmer and it was fine.

I did not get TPMS when I got new wheels and tires. I used my programmer to turn the light off. Dont waste your money on the sensors!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just had this conversation with a shop in Va. and Discount Tire earlier in the week. If you got a 2012 the TPMS have to be in and work. Thanks federal govt.! It was even suggested that if their not in and you were in an accident your insurance company could say your on your own. Now I'm taking my tires and rims to be mounted today and not telling anyone what there going on! Not sure how they test for them if they do at all. Any other experience out there?

Quick Reply: tire pressure guages