Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire pressure.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
jjt
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure.

Hi,

So .. I'm the new guy. I bought an '07 Wrangler X about 2 months ago with a dealer installed 4" lift and 35x12.50R17 ProComp Mud Terrains. They are rated at 50 psi cold for 3,000 pounds. Obviously, the whole Jeep weighs...what, 2,000 pounds? The dealership had them inflated to 50 psi. I have since aired them down to 28 psi. I figured this out with a $1 bottle of powdered chalk from Lowes. I used the whole bottle testing and retesting. At 28 psi cold, if I place an entire line of chalk across each tire and run in a straight line the chalk is completely rubbed off with the exception of about 1/2" at the edges. If I turn, the chalk is rubbed off completely. Does this sound about right? Thanks!

-Joseph
Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

You want the chalk to wear evenly all the way across. The half inch on either side is where your tires will start to wear first.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RuBob
Wouldn't it be the other way around? The 1/2 inch on either side is not touching.

Does the 1/2 inch of tread look like it should be part of the contact patch? (ie - not the start of side lugs)
You are correct. It would be the other way around.
That's what I meant I thought I said?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
jjt
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RuBob
Sounds a whole lot better than 50psi!!

Are they E-rated tires? If so, 25-28psi is about right.
They are D rated.

My guess is the dealership had them set at 50psi to make them quiet for a sale.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure.