Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Pressure

Old 03-15-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

So I've been trying to do some research. Anyone running 20" wheels with 35'' tires? I'm trying to figure out what PSI would be best. I think the shop set it at around 35, and I've been reading different things with people going anywhere from 25-30. Anyone with 20" wheels, what PSI are you running? What does everyone recommend?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by toxicity_27
So I've been trying to do some research. Anyone running 20" wheels with 35'' tires? I'm trying to figure out what PSI would be best. I think the shop set it at around 35, and I've been reading different things with people going anywhere from 25-30. Anyone with 20" wheels, what PSI are you running? What does everyone recommend?
With a mud tire most people usually run 25-30 PSI, it makes the tire wear a little better and also will make your ride a little softer. The only reason to go above 30 is a slight gain in MPG. I run mine at 30 and I feel like I have a nice balance of economy and ride quality.

The shops run all tires at 35 PSI, it's a pretty standard measurement for stock size tires. There is nothing wrong with running yours at that PSI, you will jsut wear them out quicker and will have a little harsher ride.

Hope this helps!

-Zach
Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain

With a mud tire most people usually run 25-30 PSI, it makes the tire wear a little better and also will make your ride a little softer. The only reason to go above 30 is a slight gain in MPG. I run mine at 30 and I feel like I have a nice balance of economy and ride quality.

The shops run all tires at 35 PSI, it's a pretty standard measurement for stock size tires. There is nothing wrong with running yours at that PSI, you will jsut wear them out quicker and will have a little harsher ride.

Hope this helps!

-Zach
Actually my bro who sells tires say that if you run at the tires recommended pressure you will get the best wear and mpg out of them but you will get a stiffer ride. Neither one of do run max psi though. His max is 50 he runs 35 on my nittos max is 65 I run 33-34

Last edited by Tooadvanced; 03-15-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really isn't a magical number. Best to just do the chalk test and figure out your ideal pressure.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Actually my bro who sells tires say that if you run at the tires recommended pressure you will get the best wear and mpg out of them but you will get a stiffer ride. Neither one of do run max psi though. His max is 50 he runs 35 on my nittos max is 65 I run 33-34
For the factory tires, 35 PSI is ideal and you will get a better MPG and wear. For a mud tire, you want to stay between 28-32PSI for the best results. So yes, your brother is right, the pressure recommended by the manufacturer is the best way to go.

Also a chalk test is another way to get your tire pressure dialed in. You'll want to drive to a flat area. This can be your driveway or the street in front of your house. Just make sure there aren't a lot of cracks, bumps or pot holes in the ground. Then, draw a thick, straight line across the width of the tire, and drive the Jeep forward at least one-full car length.

Inspect the chalk on the ground and on the tire. A tire with the proper air pressure should press the chalk line evenly across the ground. This means you'll see the entire chalk line imprinted on the ground. An over-inflated tire will bulge and only the center of the line will touch the ground. You'll only see a small portion of line if this is the case. If you're tire is underinflated, you'll see only the sides of the lines since the middle of the tire is not making contact with the ground.

Adjust your tire's air pressure according to the chalk test results.

PM me if you have any questions!

-Zach

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure