Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire pressure

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Max tire pressure is for carrying the max load. Heavy duty truck tires(f250/350 type trucks) have very high load capacities and need tires that can handle it. My work truck's tire max is 80psi and I run them at 70.. it rides like total crap but it is hauling heavy trailers, tools, and a 100 gallon diesel tank around all day. The 20,000 pound Freightliner tires run at 105psi, you get the idea.

On a light Jeep these beefy tires can be run at lower pressures and support the jeep more comfortably.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy runs his 35's at 28 on the street and 12 on the trail.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing that up
Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zenabi
Why is the max pressure so high?
Max air pressure is like the weight rating of a hitch. A hitch is rated for the max load it can carry before safety or failure becomes a factor. It's just a measurement of the maximum amount of air that the tire can handle. Whether you run a tire capable of 65 or 50psi typically your air pressure will remain the same around 30-35psi. However if a tire is an E load rating sometimes you may run a little lower air pressure to compensate for the extra steel belting and compound of the rubber. But we are probably only talking 2-5 psi.
You have to keep in mind that a tire is meant to be used on a variety of vehicles.
For example my 2500hd crew cab has 285/75-16 duratracs and our JK has 285/70-17's. Same max psi rating but I run 50psi on the truck and 30 on the JK. Only because the truck weighs sooo much more.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default 37's and Tire Pressure

Originally Posted by wayoflife
for a 35, i would say about 30 psi
Putting 37's Trail Grapplers on an Expedition Modded rig as we speak. I went with the Nitto's on your reco WOL, based on the sidewall strength you mentioned etc. My JKU has a lot of extra weight. AEV front bumper and Warn 9.5, AEV rear bumper with gas storage (plus 5 gallons of potable water in the bumper), 60" hi-lift, pull-pal, gobi rack with 135lb Maggiolina RTT with 30lbs of gear inside, ARB fridge and 2 drawer rear area only storage. Full armor underneath, and a few other things. What air pressure do you think I should run the Nitto 37's at with all that extra weight?
I'll be on beadlocks with on-board air for off-highway.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 07Rubi; 08-13-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Add Model Designation
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nevermind.

Originally Posted by 07Rubi
Putting 37's Trail Grapplers on an Expedition Modded rig as we speak. I went with the Nitto's on your reco WOL, based on the sidewall strength you mentioned etc. My JKU has a lot of extra weight. AEV front bumper and Warn 9.5, AEV rear bumper with gas storage (plus 5 gallons of potable water in the bumper), 60" hi-lift, pull-pal, gobi rack with 135lb Maggiolina RTT with 30lbs of gear inside, ARB fridge and 2 drawer rear area only storage. Full armor underneath, and a few other things. What air pressure do you think I should run the Nitto 37's at with all that extra weight? I'll be on beadlocks with on-board air for off-highway.Thanks in advance.
Found the answer in other tire pressure threads. Apologies.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been running 31 pounds in my 35's on my unlimited an it seems to be doing fine

Quick Reply: Tire pressure