Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire pressure

Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
You could probably go down even lower. I run mine at 28lbs and they are wearing perfect
What Ryan said. I'm running at 28psi.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Seems like I hear more and more about tire shops inflating to the max pressure before letting the vehicle roll out the door.
It's probably a misguided attempt to decrease their liability.
I would say that is a true statement.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the great State of California:

California has passed a new law requiring most auto servicing sites to check tire pressure at each visit and add air when necessary. The law will affect 40,000 businesses in the state, although the mandate does not effect body shops, car washes, glass repair shops, or parts stores. The state's government will let the service stations, smog-check stations, oil change places, and so on determine how much to charge for the check, and they must have a high-accuracy pressure gauge on hand. The tire pressure monitoring law will go into effect in July 1, 2010.

I'm tired of the government trying to manage every aspect of my life.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Radioman
From the great State of California:

California has passed a new law requiring most auto servicing sites to check tire pressure at each visit and add air when necessary. The law will affect 40,000 businesses in the state, although the mandate does not effect body shops, car washes, glass repair shops, or parts stores. The state's government will let the service stations, smog-check stations, oil change places, and so on determine how much to charge for the check, and they must have a high-accuracy pressure gauge on hand. The tire pressure monitoring law will go into effect in July 1, 2010.

I'm tired of the government trying to manage every aspect of my life.
2010?

You still gotta love the usa, the only country that trys to protect itself, from itself....

I do love being free though!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Take another look at the sidewall. That's the max rated pressure at full load. Normal pressure is on the sticker on the B pillar.
The recommended pressures on stickers are typically too high.

For 35" (315xx70x17 Mickey Thompson) I use 28~29 psi.

In the hot season, when I go through the desert, I drive for a while until the tires have warmed. Then, I lower back to 28 psi. (That's for roads. For wheeling it's obviously lower)

Last edited by GJeep; 05-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Last year (pretty sure last year) in one of the Magazine's was a great formula for calculating tire pressure. I would be happy to post it, except my sister spilled her coffee all over it and thus my copy is no more. So if anyone can find a copy and post it that would be great, or if anyone from Petersen's or one of the other's is on the forum maybe they can post it. Most of the magazine's are all owned by the same company, so help us out guys.

It worked out on my 35" km2's to be 32 lbs. and with all kinds of testing found that was the best pressure. The formula calculated the factory spec on the b pillar with information on the tire sidewall and bam, you had your number.

Even at 36 years old, little sisters are still the same.

Last edited by dasbus; 05-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure