Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire pressure

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

discount tire had my Falken 287/70R17's at 40. I lowered them to 35 and it does feel better. After reading earlier post thinking I might go even lower.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Take another look at the sidewall. That's the max rated pressure at full load. Normal pressure is on the sticker on the B pillar.
Yea your right the Max is 50 lbs,
Old 05-02-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snytribe
discount tire had my Falken 287/70R17's at 40. I lowered them to 35 and it does feel better. After reading earlier post thinking I might go even lower.
That's where I got mine and they put them on, Theres no operating pressure on the tire just the max pressure so I guess the installer thought it was the tire pressure.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by optimuus Prime
That's where I got mine and they put them on, Theres no operating pressure on the tire just the max pressure so I guess the installer thought it was the tire pressure.
Seems like I hear more and more about tire shops inflating to the max pressure before letting the vehicle roll out the door.
It's probably a misguided attempt to decrease their liability.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know but I don't want my brand new tires wearing all jacked up so I lowered the psi to around 35ish might move it down a little more I'm going to see how it wears the new rubber teats down now.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I contacted the Nitto Tire Company directly about what tire pressure their engineers recommend for 285 70 17s on a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited 4 dr and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting Nitto Tires.

In response to your question, we recommend 44 PSI for your Trail
Grappler [285/70R17] on your 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door.
Please note that this number is a calculated estimate, please feel free
to make any adjustments until you have achieved a comfortable ride.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us back at
any time.

Thank you,
Nitto Technical Department
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Max Pressure written on the tire is worthless in regards to "proper inflation."

Do a chalk test or drop it to 30 and call it a day.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chalk test. running 34 psi on my 315/70/17s. 285/70/17 would probably run at 35 or 36 psi.
depends also on if you want a nice cushy ride or fuel savings as more psi = less resistance
Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Proper wear/tread life depends on more than just tire size. It also depends on rim width, tread pattern, the true size of the tire, and vehicle weight. The chalk test is the best way of checking to see if your tire will wear nicely. Do the chalk test to get them to where they wear evenly and then adjust for comfort/gas savings. You can run your tires at 65 psi (if they're rated for it) and save some fuel, but you'll also burn off the center tread far sooner and have to buy 4 new tires that have near perfect tread on the outer edge. Also keep in mind that if you tow a trailer/camper or put 500+ lbs in the back of your rig for a trip then you will want to add some more air to the rear tires. Basically, use what others have said as a reference and then adjust for your rig. You might have 1,000 lbs more or less on your vehicle than what they have. Recheck whenever adding/removing significant weight or changing rims/tires.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by optimuus Prime
I might do that was looking at the side wall and it said 50 psi cold I think that's still high even for 35s
That is MAX pressure and only needed if you load your vehicle to the max and/or tow! Nobody puts that much air in it on a Jeep! Look at the load range per tire and you'll see what I mean

Quick Reply: Tire pressure