Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire preferenece

Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire preferenece

About to throw on some 33s on my stock polar edition but not sure which brand to get. The stock rims are 18x7.5 so I would get a tire that's 33x10.5 and have to be All Terrains. I know I will need a 1.5inch spacer.

But let me know what your preference is for AT. I was looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but like I said open to opinion so let me hear it.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duratracs 275/70-18 and a 1 inch wheel spacer will do the job and keep the tread inside the fender.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by groth797
About to throw on some 33s on my stock polar edition but not sure which brand to get. The stock rims are 18x7.5 so I would get a tire that's 33x10.5 and have to be All Terrains. I know I will need a 1.5inch spacer.

But let me know what your preference is for AT. I was looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but like I said open to opinion so let me hear it.
Suggest looking at the Goodyear AT Adventure's in size LT265/70-18 (tirerack.com is excellent for looking up specs). There are fairly lite at 51 lbs, and have the severe snow rating (which is hard to get in a non-dedicated snow tire).

I'm running the LT285/70-17 on mine, and they've worked well in rain, snow, icy roads, and desert rocks. No spacers and no contact at full articulation with one side at the stock bump stop.

BTW - Wheel spacers might even cause fender contact at full articulation. Instead, suggest adding a washer to both steering stops to reduce the steering angle at full turn (which is where interference usually happens). The turn radius is barely affected, and it can reduce stress on the front U-joints too. There are manufacturing tolerances, Jeeps aren't all exactly the same, so after installation check it on full turn, on some ramps, etc.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Duratracs are nice at 33's and pretty quite
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 PM
JK Junkie

I've run BFG, GY, Yokohama and Nitto, all on various vehicles. Trucks and SUVs. Once I tried Nittos, I will only run Nitto on any off road vehicle. Hell, even Northridge is firm on Nittos for their rigs, and most people have a lot of respect for their knowledge and experience.

Reasons? Durability, easy to balance, more even wear, less side wall damage, reasonable price, quality tire. This list can go on.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Duratracs

I agree with hdawgn40 ... I run 285/70/17 Duratracs and they are pretty quiet. I have wheels with a 4.7" backspacing and these stick out from the fenders slightly. With stock wheels and no spacer, you'll probably get some rubbing with this tire size on tight turns.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Iv got falken wildpeak 285/70/17's. They are doing great on road, very good in rain. Off road they are fine except for mud, but all ATs struggle in mud.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to read this:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...review-306450/

All the advantages of a MT including looks, with the road manners and quiet ride of an AT. Don't settle dude, I love mine.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
You need to read this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...review-306450/ All the advantages of a MT including looks, with the road manners and quiet ride of an AT. Don't settle dude, I love mine.
Hey thanks guys this is a huge help! I am still looking around but in definitely swaying more toward the master crafts or the dura tracks. It being my DD and occasionally hitting the trails those two seem like the best bet. Thanks again guys and when I finally decide I will let you guys know and post some pictures
Old 08-15-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tire preferenece

I was in the exact same boat as you. I have a 2013 Unlimited Sahara and wanted something aggressive looking that performed well both on and off road and was quiet on road. I did a lot of research and read a ton of reviews and I settled on the Kumho Road Venture MTs. Everything I read said the were very quiet on road, performed great off road on rocks and in mud, and handled good in rain and snow. The only negatives came from guys running them on 1 ton trucks saying they only got 40k miles out of them.

I just got them mounted this week but they aren't much louder then the stock tires so I'm happy so far. We'll see how they wear, but for the price I got them from Discount Tire Direct I couldn't pass up the deal. Only drawback I see is they are directional, so I will need the shop to flip a tire each time I rotate if I plan on rotating all 5 in. Again, I have my shop do it anyway so that wasn't a deal breaker for me either.

Last edited by lvd76; 08-15-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spellcheck

Quick Reply: Tire preferenece