Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire preasure help

Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire preasure help

I just put duratracs 315/75/16s on my jku the max psi is 65 but there's no way I need that. Right now there at 45 but I'm not sure if that's correct. What psi should I be running for everyday street use ??
Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Going to depend on a lot of things, including the weight of your Jeep. Best bet is to do the "chalk test". Google it, lots of threads describing the process. Short answer is find a long straight flat place you can test (empty parking lot, etc). Draw a wide chalk line all the way across the tread, drive perfectly straight for a hundred feet or so. Chalk worn only in the middle means lower the pressure. Only worn on the edges means raise it. You're looking for even wear all the way across.

You may need different pressures front and rear, but don't stress too much if they're reasonably close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

30 psi is a good place to start for a 35" tire, then chalk test.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaveJKU
Going to depend on a lot of things, including the weight of your Jeep. Best bet is to do the "chalk test". Google it, lots of threads describing the process. Short answer is find a long straight flat place you can test (empty parking lot, etc). Draw a wide chalk line all the way across the tread, drive perfectly straight for a hundred feet or so. Chalk worn only in the middle means lower the pressure. Only worn on the edges means raise it. You're looking for even wear all the way across. You may need different pressures front and rear, but don't stress too much if they're reasonably close. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow might have to try this out thanks a lot Dave !
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know the truck calls for 35 psi does it change being that it's a new differ tire ?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The psi recommendation on the door placard lists a 'specific' tire size - not 'any tire you put on this vehicle'.

The blurb from the FAQ's stuck at the top of this modified area...

Q: On the road, what PSI should I be running in my tires?
A: For optimal comfort and even tire wear. you should not run the recommended PSI listed on the sidewalls of your tires. Typically this will be way too much. On average for a 33" tire, I would recommend that you run your tires at approximately 28-30 PSI. For a 35" tire, I would recommend running approximately 26-28 PSI. For a 37" tire, I would recommend approximately 24-26 PSI.
Note that there are differences in vehicle weight, tire size (varies by mfg, even though the same size is listed), tire construction (C/D/E load rate, thicker/thinner sidewalls), etc. The best psi for someone else, on their vehicle, with their specific tires, may or may not be what is right for you.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-12-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I asked this question via the Goodyear website concerning my GoodYear Silent Armour tires. They are the OEM size but have a higher psi listed on the tire than the OEM Bridgestones that were on the Jeep. The answer in a nutshell ....

The psi listed on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum pressure for the tire carrying the maximum weight your rig can safely handle. No matter what the psi on the tire is if you are running an OEM size the psi should be set for what's on the door plaque.

In other words the psi molded into the tire is a maximum thing, not a recommended setting for everyday driving.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The PSI molded into the sidewall has the words 'Maximum Recommended' right next to it, doesn't it?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

What my question is is anyone running this tire duratracs 315/75/16 on a jku I'm just looking for a ballpark figure as to what psi nothing dead on just around what preasure than ill do a chalk test from there. Sorry for any confusion
Old 05-12-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone running these ?

Quick Reply: Tire preasure help