Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire opinions

Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good feedback guys...keep it coming. After much thought and the fact my JK is a daily driver and a tow vehicle, I decided to get a 2" FT lift and run 33". I just think that 35" will be "pushing the envelope" as a daily driver and tow vehicle. So I am looking at the BFG A/T KOs...I looking to run 285/75R16s on 16" Pro Comp rims. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KO

Thoughts on these?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

For good off-road and on-road I think the Goodyear MTR is a great tire. Aggressive tread and not too noisy on the road and good tread life. I am thinking about 35s but I really want to go with 37s on a new Unlimited Rubicon. Just worried 37s with a 4 - 5" lift will put her up too high for the wife to climb in and out of as she is only 5'-3" tall.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
the STS is great if you want to cruise the malls and look cool. I think they are required in Virginia Beach on 50% of all big dumb trucks that never see dirt ....
Lol... well tell it like it is!!

STS's are really great for what they are... sand tires (hence why you see so many in Va Beach). I had them on my YJ and they float like nobody's business on sand. But they are still swampers SO they are hard to balance, heavy, and you do get road noise (although not excessive). They are 'alright' on the street but BFG ATs are a way better and seem to last twice as long. After I rotated them the 1st time (simple same side front to back rotation)... they were never the same. As a previous owner, I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like I am going to run 295/75/R16 BFG AT KOs on Pro Comp Series 97 Monster Mod Rock Crawlers....tirepackage.com actually had the 295s cheaper then the 285s...supply & demand But with a 2.5" FT BB the extra .5" shouldn't be a problem

Last edited by pmergler; 03-05-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like Trxus MT's. I had a set of (33x12.5x15) on my TJ they were very quiet, just as quiet as my BFG AT's. They worked great on the trail but I thought they were lacking in mud. They worked beter than the AT's but not as good as i thought they would work. I filled up the tread pretty easy on my parents land in north east NC, no mater how fast i spun the tires the mud would not clean out till i got back on a gravel or paved road. They have some nasty mud up there. That is why i am going with an more aggressive tread on my JK(when i get it) thinking about 37 IROK's.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

For occasional wheeling, I would go with an AT tire. I have 285/75R16 Bridgestone AT Revos on my daily driver Nissan Frontier. They are rated really high on Tirerack, better than BFG ATs. BFGs are tough tires as well.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watch out for the sidewals on the BFGs if you're doing anything more than easy trails. They have a tendency to rip.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
Watch out for the sidewals on the BFGs if you're doing anything more than easy trails. They have a tendency to rip.
Yeah my BFG AT's got a sidewall puncter from a small stick on an easy trail the stick pocked the side wall just perfect i guess. All i heard was the air escaping.

Quick Reply: Tire opinions