Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire opinions

Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire opinions

I was considering the Interco TrXus STS All-Terrain Radial in 33" to go on a Black Diamond 3" lift. Thoughts on the tires? I do mostly highway and will do very sporatic wheeling. Plus my JK is a daily driver (60 mi. minium a day).
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am sure those will feel great onroad, but from the reviews on various forums I have read they aren't worth a thing on the trail. If you are really looking for an AT try the Bfgoodrich ones or perhaps if you want something a bit more aggressive and still super quiet I hear the Hankook Dynamic MTs are nice. Renegade on the forum has 35s on a 3" lift and says they are as quiet as his old ATs. Besides... MTs look way cooler!

-Living Still
Old 03-04-2007, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default I almost bought those...

I went with the truxus mts instead. I also drive on the highway a lot and my tire guy said they are good road tires, but terrible in mud (That made my decision right there). I don't want to get suck in mud. These mts are very quite on the road I was really suprised, I barely can hear them at all. They are quiter than the goodyears on my dodge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010028.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	911  
Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the STS on my Dodge pu Great sand tire good for where i live but dont expect to get too many miles out of them.I will be going with a M/T on my Jeep .
Old 03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi,
I'm getting a 3" lift done by DesertRat on Tuesday (I hope) So that I can put on 35" tires.
I checked around and got dizzy with all the different answers to my desire to get 35" tires on.
My X Unlimited came with p245/75r16 (30") wranglers which are fine but not tall...
So anyway it turns out I can put on 35" BFG ATs on existing rims 315/75R16 I think they are.
Here's the kicker. I buy 4 and get 5th for free: for $823 THEN dealer gives me $250 cash back for existing tires that have 5,750 miles on 'em !
I realise this isnt the best setup but while I'm learning I'm sure I'll be happy with it as I don't intend to go upside down and wedged etc. like I see the hard core crawlers doing.
BTW I used the wranglers slightly aired down doing some 3+ trails and things went very well. AT's for me are the way to go.
I am getting a set of chains with the rebar wields tho for those times I might get into it all unawares...LOL
Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hankooks have gotten a little louder, but are still the best budget MT in my opinion. Good compromise on price, on road handling, and off road capability. I run them on the factory 17" rims with 14 psi off road. I am kind of wishing I had held out for the 37's though.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go w/ the Cooper STT's, Desert Rat sells em as well. These are the best MT I have ran and are supposed to get very good wear, 50-60k out of em. I got mine from Desert Rat as well and have been very happy with them.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmergler
I was considering the Interco TrXus STS All-Terrain Radial in 33" to go on a Black Diamond 3" lift. Thoughts on the tires? I do mostly highway and will do very sporatic wheeling. Plus my JK is a daily driver (60 mi. minium a day).

I can't comment on the Trxus's since I've never ran them, but you might want to re-think a 3" lift for only 33's. A 2" b.b.-type lift is plenty for 33's on a daily driver. You might even get by with only a 1" body lift. Just my opinion, though.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I too have been researching what tires to get and while I like the Dick Cepek FC-II's, i've also been interested in TrXus MTs and Cooper STT's for their excellent reviews for a "mud tire" they seem to be fairly quiet and good in the rain, unlike lets say, a Goodyear MTR? :-)
Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

the STS is great if you want to cruise the malls and look cool. I think they are required in Virginia Beach on 50% of all big dumb trucks that never see dirt

The truxus MT's on the other hand I have seen get great review and wear well. If it will mostly be a daily driver and no off-road i would go with BFG AT's or any other AT of similar design. It will wear better and you will be much happier in the rain.

As for lift you should need none to very little to fit 33's

Quick Reply: Tire opinions