Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire induced death wobble

Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are your ball joints? There has to be movement somewhere. You can't have dw if everything is solid and there is no movement anywhere.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duneslider
How are your ball joints? There has to be movement somewhere. You can't have dw if everything is solid and there is no movement anywhere.
My ball joints are good no vertical slop at all, I'm just going to wait till I get my tires. I have checked everything and somethings twice. I see nothing wrong. So after I get tires I'll address it again.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default The end!

Well folks I see a lot of death wobble post but most OP's don't come back with a result or conclusion. I'm here to put a happy ending on this post, and not the kind you get at a Asian message parlor either ! I have been dealing with the DW for about 2 weeks, I tried everything on planman's list twice and in some cases three times. and to no avail, nothing seemed to help! so I was forced to drive 50 mph and be ready to mash on the brakes to kill the death wobble. my occurrences would happen when my front tires would hit a bump, then all hell would brake loose! you ask what does speed have to do with it? well if I were going slower I could feel the wobble before it got out of control and slow down to stop it. after dealing with it for two weeks on the GY wrangler SR A. I finally got my GY MT/R Kevlars on that was Sunday, I have driven on them three days now and SUPRISE SUPRISE no Death Wobble at all!! not even a hint! Some of you may be skeptical and say well you never had death wobble then and to that I say BS, believe me it was crazy scary!
So there is my story those POS stock X tires caused my DW! now there gone And I say burn them!! with my new GY MT/R's no death wobble, there is my proof that tires can cause death wobble
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking I might have the same issue. I have the stock tires and they are getting bald and my DW started after I did a tire rotation..

Good thing is is that as I write this im getting new tires put on my Jeep. 33X1250R17 Cooper STT's. Tomorrow I'm torquing the trackbar and installing a Procomp steering stabilizer and checking out other things...But I think with everything going on today and tomorrow with repairs and maintenance...we can handle my intermittant DW before it becomes common.

Mine only kicks in at high way speeds when I hit a nasty bump...usually going around a bend. It has also tried to kick in (and you can feel it ramping up) if I have to break hard.

And yes...I know for sure that what I have is DW. It will be interesting to see what the new tires do for it...those Goodyear SR-A's are pretty crappy from what my guys at Discount Tire say...they dont like them at all. I think that them getting near the end of their life and 51K miles on them has pushed them over the edge.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Had DW with the stockers with no lift. Put lift on with stockers made it worse, got new tire/wheel combo and DW disappeared.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had real bad tires...outside was worn down. They were usually aired down a bit. Think it was from me wanting them to go bad quick so I could upgrade

Installed TF leveling kit and had 3 cases of DW over a 3 week period. After the 2nd one i loosened then torqued down the front TB again. and thought it went away, but got it a third time day before the 35's went on.

It's been 3 weeks now with the XD's/35's and no DW. very strange. I've got the JKS adj. TB sitting at home waiting to go on, but am not installing it unless I have another instance of DW. (Planning to install 2.5" coil lift in a couple of months)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got my new tires installed and did a quick drive around (still at the office for the day) to see if I could get my DW to appear if I hit the brakes hard. Nothing. No Wobble. Just a nice solid strong braking that made me lurch forward in my seat rather than getting jostled around.

Will be interesting to see what happens when I hit one of the notorious bumps that usually sends me into DW..

Still planning on torquing my trackbar tomorrow to factory specs and installing my Procomp steering stabilizer that I've picked up.

I think my problem was when I rotated my tires last on my jeep with the stock tires. I think I didnt have a wheel balance weight in my front passenger tire and that was one cause of it...that and the tires had 51,500 miles on them and were getting worn down.

New tires...new life...at least so far. I shall report after some more driving. In the meantime...heres the link to my pictures!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...!-Cooper-STT-s!

Quick Reply: Tire induced death wobble