Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire induced death wobble

Old 12-31-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire induced death wobble

Yea I use to go oh god not another death wobble post! But I just got my first case today and it's f---en scary! Now please read very carefully! I had a 3.5 lift on a 07 rubicon with stock rubicon rims and tires with spider trax spacers and have never had a problem with death wobble let me repeat never had a problem with DW. Last night I traded my brother rims and tires because he wanted my stock rubie tires and I'm getting some 35" mtr's in two weeks. I now have his stock 17" Goodyear wrangler sra, they are the same size but not mud tire. This morning I got the dreaded Death Wobble!! 65 mph hit a bump and this thing went crazy!! Had to pull off the road!! Got to work checked trackbar and steering stuff all is tight and good! Yesterday stock rubicon tires no death Wobble, today stock X tires death wobble!!!

What do you think chalk it up to tires?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Could it possibly be too much lift for those tires??
Old 12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FloBraJK
Could it possibly be too much lift for those tires??
Both sets are 255/75/17 the main differance on is a mud tire and one is a street tire, I have read many post of people with these goodyear wranglers sa-r have death wobble. I just hope its the tires and it will go away after they are replaced!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it's the tires. It's more likely that raising the truck to install the wheels decompressed/loosened a suspension component. And now you need to re-torque that component.

DW is not caused by tires. It's caused by loose suspension components, typically (though not always) on lifted Jeeps. Your front track bar bolts are the most likely suspects. Torque them to 125 lbs and see if DW happens again.

Yes, DW is f**king scary. Glad nobody was hurt.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
I doubt it's the tires. It's more likely that raising the truck to install the wheels decompressed/loosened a suspension component. And now you need to re-torque that component.

DW is not caused by tires. It's caused by loose suspension components, typically (though not always) on lifted Jeeps. Your front track bar bolts are the most likely suspects. Torque them to 125 lbs and see if DW happens again.

Yes, DW is f**king scary. Glad nobody was hurt.
I will let you all know what I find out, just a little more info lift is 3000-4000 miles new have checked tightness of lift 3 times and it was installed correctly
Old 12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can tell you tires can cause death wobble. I had an 03 tj and about 30000 miles in I started to get a wobble. Had the track bar check, tire rebalanced, brakes check and still a wobble. I then got a bonus from work and got some pro comp m/t and the wobble disappeared. I still had the original spare. The day I got a flat and had to use the spare death wobble came back. Tires can cause death wobble. I'm not a fan of the Goodyear wrangler tire for this reason. If you can switch the tires back a see what happens.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If those same tires do not cause DW on your brothers JK, but do cause it on yours - sounds like something in your setup is 'on the edge', and something having to do with those tires/wheels is sending you 'over' the edge into dw. Other than at vs mt, what other differences are there? Same psi? Same width rims? Newer tread vs worn out? Balanced recently? Where they swapped to the same corners of both vehicles, or mixed up the rotations?

Could be a lot of things, but as noted, I am guessing that something in your setup is borderline...
Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rotate them front for back until your replacements come in. If one of the front tires is way out of balance it will cause issues.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

different tires can change camber angle, this can cause death wobble. At times it does not take much. Rotate tires,check suspension parts, if that does not fix the problem then your camber angle needs to be adjusted. Good chance you will have to adjust the camber for the 35" tires when they are put on also. At times you can change out your steering stabilizer, this is not a true fix, but it can stop death wobble some times if the stabilizer has been damaged.

Last edited by Jolly Roger; 12-31-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
different tires can change camber angle, this can cause death wobble. At times it does not take much. Rotate tires,check suspension parts, if that does not fix the problem then your camber angle needs to be adjusted. Good chance you will have to adjust the camber for the 35" tires when they are put on also. At times you can change out your steering stabilizer, this is not a true fix, but it can stop death wobble some times if the stabilizer has been damaged.
Camber is non-adjustable on JKs. Caster is not adjustable unless you add cams or adj ca's. Toe and steering wheel re-centering are all you can do without adding additional parts...

Quick Reply: Tire induced death wobble