Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tire Dilema! Copper, BFG, Goodyear

Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Dilema! Copper, BFG, Goodyear

OK
I am having some issues here
I am going to be running AEV Pintler Wheels (17)
and want a tire between 33 and 34
(I have a 2 in OME lift)

I do NOT want a 35 (I have thought about it and its just not for me)
My Jeep in mainly a DD but sees the woods when I hunt and winters here in MI. No crazy muddling, rock climbing etc.

What size tire is it I want? Im sorry these #'s confuse the **** out of me!

I want a nice very aggressive tire and I have narrowed it down to a few choices.

I am REALLY leaning towards the Cooper Discover STT. My friend from high school (weve been friends 20 years) is a BIG fan of the Cooper on the truck he has set up as his daily driver that sees a little off road fun and says its the ideal tire for me especially for the price. He can get any tire for free and the majority of his off road trucks have these on them (his "mudder" is another story) and he says with the price he can get me they are the best bang for my buck. I also think its a great looking tire.

The Goodyear MT/R is a nice tire but it is more than I need and costs too much.

BFG MT KM 2 Great tires no doubt about it but I can get a much better deal on the Cooper and I think the Cooper looks a bit better.

I drove a Jeep with the Coopers on it and was very surprised they were very quite compared to my stock Rubi tires.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

The BFG is the best of those three, no question. And you pay the premium for it too, bah! I have never been disappointed with the BFG MTs for their wear, traction (on and off-road) and noise level. While they aren't the quietest, they certainly aren't Thornbirds. I have 33 inch BFGs on mine and wouldn't consider anything else.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. I ran the Coopers on my TJ, and they were a great tire. I chose the MTR's for my JK, but for personal reasons. I have to say that I am not disapointed. I love my MTR's. I still have my Coopers, they are still mounted to the 15inch rims for the TJ. If they would have fit, I would have used them on the JK. Either of the two would be my personal choice.

Last edited by Hellbilly; 08-30-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been going through the same delima but with 35's.

I haven't purchased yet but am leaning twards the TrXus MT's, they cost less then the BFG's, coopers, Mickey Thompson and Procomps that I was also considering. These are retail prices though and if you have a hookup on one particular brand that's the way id go.

Our Jeep is no longer a DD though so I'm ok with a more aggressive tire.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cooper makes a good tire.
Goodyears are ok- way overpriced, but you could get a 305/70 = 34"
I'd spend the $$ for the KM2's.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like the Coopers are a good match for you, especially if cost is a major factor. MT/Rs are great tires, but expensive and seem to wear faster than the average M/T. The KM2s are also great performing, but again pricey.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 AM
JK Junkie

I would throw the Toyo Open Country M/T 285/75R17s (34") in the mix, but it seems as if you're just seeking validation of a good tire you've already decided on.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've talked to quite a few people that were happy with their Cooper's. I had the factory MTR's on my 05 Rubicon, and I hated them. They weren't very good in the rain, not to bad in snow, but if you hit any ice, it was scary. And after about 10,000 miles or so, they got real noisy, and seemed to wear fairly fast. And you have to rotate them every 3,000miles. Any longer and they start to wear funny. That may have accounted for some of my road noise though, as I was following the factory recommendation of every 6,000 miles. But I think the KM2's would also be a good choise, I've just never talked to anyone that has them yet.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like you and many others I had the same dilema and finally settled on ProComp Xtreme MT's 315/75R 16 @ 34.5". The price was great as of late with factory incentives etc. For All Season (including ICE and snow) they have the tread design to handle this. Most MT's really suck on icey roads and I doubt that (as much as I love the look) the BFG KM2 isn't going to be a great icey road tire, I don't doubt that it will be great in the snow however. The tread design is too new and not proven up here in Canada yet. Your choice of the Cooper STT is very close to the Xtreme MT, the Toyo MT, and the Mickey Thompson MTZ. They all have that same basic design.

I know a couple guys running them this year so I may choose the KM2 the next time around once they have proven themselves in the Canadian Winters.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

I also recommend the Toyo Open Country if you are looking for a mud terrain that performs well on the road. I am running the 33" on Argent Pintlers with a 2" lift..

Quick Reply: Tire Dilema! Copper, BFG, Goodyear